UK light fittings

kath1968

Lot de 5

So "only" 6.70 €HT each. Mind you I picked up a few light fittings in the UK, all CE marked, complete with cable and bayonet fitting for £1.99 each. Suited me to use them as none of our ceilings would take anything like the french fittings and the lights we bought here either didn't have fittings or had a stupid plastic cone.

[quote user="Jay"]

Lot de 5

So "only" 6.70 €HT each. Mind you I picked up a few light fittings in the UK, all CE marked, complete with cable and bayonet fitting for £1.99 each. Suited me to use them as none of our ceilings would take anything like the french fittings and the lights we bought here either didn't have fittings or had a stupid plastic cone.

[/quote]

Yeah, I have to admit to using standard UK ceiling rose and pendant fittings too! Seems so much neater, and only £1.50 each.  You don't always want to use the hook arrangement on the French fitting and you're right, a lot of light fittings come with a really obtrusive cone.

Hedging my bets, I've terminated my wiring in the ceiling in a recessed box so I can always just remove the UK rose and add the DCL fitting if ever we came to sell the house and compliance was an issue.

I was pretty miffed to have to use DCL's for wall lights as to keep them hidden and also have the space to connect the fitting was a real challenge, next time I will just remove them after the consuel inspection, in fact I have some spotlights mounted on purlins with the cable coming through the timber into the baseplate, I havnt fitted a DCL as it would mean butchering the purlin and then having to remove it and make good in order to (re)fit the light, i did have a cunning plan as to convincing the inspector why it didnt need one but of course its long forgotten.

In defence of the DCL ceiling roses they do have a very strong thread for fixing a hanging eye and a means of supporting the unit from the planchers above to stop it ripping out of the ceiling, it would help if light fittings were sold with DCL plugs fitted but as most stuff is made in the far east for a world market they aint going to faff around with that, the French manufacturers may if they feel that they are not already uncompetitive enough as it is!!!