H1 form questions

Daft Doctor

Hi, moved into our new house in late March and have had a blank H1 form sent by the constructor for us to fill in and send to the Impots. I know the purpose of the form, and can work out the questions they are asking. I have 2 questions however which I hope someone out there might be able to answer.

Firstly, the house had a terrasse incorporated in the plans, which was a roof-covered area of 16.5sqm outside the kitchen patio doors. It was delivered without any finished surface, so we have now had the terrasse finished in wood but have at the same time substantially extended the terrasse down the back of the house. This has increased the size of the terrasse by 23sqm approx. Is it right to presume I will need to declare the entirety of the terrasse on the H1, even though the house wasn't delivered by the builder with a terrasse to that extent? In other words, had I extended the terrasse say next year would I have avoided the need to declare it?

Second question involves open plan living. We have a combined, open lounge/dining/kitchen area. Though the kitchen area is separately declared on the form, is the lounge/diner counted as one habitable room or two, or is it the floor area which is the critical factor? On the plans a combined floor area is given, but if it needs to be declared as two it is easy to split it up.

Thanks in advance, I want to get this form off soon so I can benefit from the 2 year partial exemption from Tax Foncière but don't want to make any expensive errors which come back to haunt me!

Lounge/diner/kitchen counted as one habitable room unless its larger than 40m2 where it becomes 2 pièces, at least that is how the insurers do things, I think les impôts work on surface plancher and confort, ie. how many bathrooms, kitchens, what type of heating etc and as you say how many pièces, so I only declare the one room, its been done face to face so i believe its correct.

Another astuce if you have a bedroom or study Under 9m2 it does not count as une piece d'habitation, on my next visit I am going to try to get my 8.9m2 bedroom removed. 

I'd do what Tinabee did. I know in the Savoie they have been checking things by sending inspectors out. Not heard that the HS is doing the same, but you never know. If in doubt and you want to get it right, when you go to the office mention the extended terrasse.

When we wanted our terrasse, we couldn't even get permission to build one the size we wanted and had to reduce it.