Auto Entrepreneur

Smudger

I am currently planning on restoring a barn in the Dordogne region of France.

I plan to use an auto entreprener to carry out some of the renovations (excluding structural stone work, electrics, plumbing, roofing), he will in effect be covering insulation, stud walls and dry lining, carpentry, tiling and flooring, door and window fitment etc.

He is registered (I have a Siret number) however how do stand with regard to any insurance cover for things like non completion of work, guarantee going forward and injury cover if he were to have an accident on site. Does his status make alot of difference to another tradesman who is not an auto entrepreneur.

Any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks

He has to have this insurance by law so always ask to see it. Also I would pay him 30% on starting, 30% halfway through, 30% at the end if you are happy and keep 10% for one calander month so he will come back to do the snagging. If he is a good builder he won't mind. You can also check him out via his siret number, the following link will explain how.

http://www.my-french-house.com/blog/how-to-check-a-siret-number

Make sure you get a devis (quote) and that you both sign it. Also tell him you will not pay for any extra work unless supported by a devis signed by you and him.