Sorry another concasse question

Angie

We want to top up our current calcaire/concasse drive which was originally laid by the builder some years ago with a new layer of concasse. The quarry are asking us what type of concasse we need but we haven't a clue what its called or the different "varieties" are. I thought it was just crushed limestone or similar and that it would be pretty straightforward to order. Can anyone advise. I don't want to phone the quarry unprepared as my French isn't good enough to discuss anything too technical! Thank you

Thanks for your prompt reply. We are currently in the UK and was hoping to have the concasse delivered while we are at the house in a couple of weeks time so wouldn't have the opportunity to go and have a look at the quarry prior to our visit. Everything takes such a age to organise re: deliveries etc. so doubt if we go and choose when we are over that it can be delivered before we come home again!! Two French chappies who were going to sort out our driveway in April/May or June - August still haven't arrived to start the job and have suggested next March (so a year all told) therefore we need a base to drive on for the winter and probably beyond as its starting to get very muddy, the current concasse surface no longer being thick enough.

Our local company stores its just around the corner from us on the neighbours' land, and it's stored by size.

Here's a link, which I can't make clickable, to a suppliers' website giving a general indication of the different size ranges. Obviously, I don't know what size ranges your supplier will have on offer, but this might be standard.

http://www.avlgranulats.fr/concasse-c102x941609

I agree with Jonz that it's best to inspect it first. It's not just the size of the pieces, it's the composition as well.

You don't really want some of that soft, chalky stuff as it will turn into a mud bath when it rains heavily. You really want the type that consists of "pebbles", so the surface remains hard and clean instead of being easily crushed into dust.

We also have a driveway problem but the company that sells the stuff and is less than a quarter of a mile away wanted 150 euros to deliver 3 tons (this comes to mind after reading another thread about delivery charges) and I don't at the moment know where else to look.

That may have been me; we need 60 tonnes and I am emailing around different suppliers. The delivery charges range from 500 euros upwards plus TVA. Thanks for the advice re the chalky stuff. The chap at the quarry seems to want to be helpful - just hope we can understand each other!

I dont know about limestone, but other gravels tend to be sold by size as mentioned above - quite often differentiated by two numbers. eg 0/6. These are the minimum and maximum diameters of the bits, so 0/6 would be powder up to 6mm lumps. 6/10 would be from 6mm up to 10mm, 10/14 is 10mm to 14mm etc.

It can also be washed or unwashed. Unwashed will contain fine dust and powder, which makes up a lot of weight, can be useful if you need it to compact into something solid, but not what you want for a top surface, whereas washed stuff will be just the gravel with no (or little) dust.