Cleaaning a wind out sunshade

f1steveuk

We have one of the exterior mounted, wind out sun shades, which, in the course of a year, gets rained on, then is in brilliant, hot sunshine. Because of this, they have a tendency to get a bit "green" and mildewey. What's the best way of restoring/cleaning these? Long term. I'm going to have it retract into a box, with the edge, fabric valence, being replaced with an MDF version, that will form the front of the box when retracted, but in the meantime, a good clean, hopefully without taking it down. Any suggestions?

Ours is 5m long by 3m deep and I didn't have to clean because it retracts to under the eves of the house. But although the material is fine the stitching was starting to give up the ghost. So I took it down, restitched it (good game, good game!!) and reversed it to put back up again. It's very rare it's out more than 1/2 way so now we have what looks like a new one [8-|] Plus, if it gets wet it's left out to dry thoroughly before it's wound in again.

There's a caravan type awning edge to them, top and bottom. That's where they slide into an aluminium channel. To take one down all you do is to wind it out as far as it will go, take the end caps off one end and slide it out. There is no tension on the roller, it's all done by the springs in the arms so nowt to worry about there. So, unless it's huge like ours it would probably go into a washing machine?

How big is it?