Complete France Forum

What to wear in a heatwave in France

We have a little heatwave going on in France…..again. 40 degrees + but nothing out of the normal since 1825 according to stats.😀

But that is not the point of my post.

So what do you wear during a heatwave ?

Everyone here (apart from me) are half naked and complaining….im too hot im too hot.

Me…I am wearing a full t-shirt and on top’ a half sleeved fleece. Yes a fleece. A columbia one. A full on fleece. One for the winter.

Am I hot….yes I am hot…but that hot. I could go cycling in it during this heat wave. I could work in the garden in 40 degrees with it on.

If I take it off….I feel hotter.

So the question is….(and don’t try this at home folks) does a fleece protect you from heat ?

The less the better, but our daughter is visiting so there is no going naked or nearly.  Fleece, you must be kidding !

It is too hot to work in the garden, so no concern about spending time outside during the heat.  No can do.

Don't know what a disdash is, but here a salwar kameez is a Godsend. White cotton baggy trousers and loose, full-sleeved tunic top.  Mozzie and horsefly-proof. Only replaced by a paréo round the pool 😎

15 hours ago, Lori said:

The less the better, but our daughter is visiting so there is no going naked or nearly.  Fleece, you must be kidding !

It is too hot to work in the garden, so no concern about spending time outside during the heat.  No can do.

"too hot to work in the garden"?  Too hot to work inside the house as well!  As for cooking.....it's like cooking in the fires of hell.

The humidity is the worst aspect.  I sit quietly indoors and the sweat just pours off my head onto my face.....

Our gardeners could not come yesterday.  Their office has given them the week off.  Just as well as I couldn't cope with anyone having a heat crisis in our garden.

9 minutes ago, menthe said:

As for cooking.....it's like cooking in the fires of hell.

Too true.  Yesterday we had a salad with goat cheese and honey dough squares (cooked in the air fryer).  Today will be salmon patties (cooked in skillet) and salad.  The oven is a no go for a while.  I'm happy to use the air fryer when needed.  It is quick and doesn't really release heat.

Supposed to cool down a bit in a couple of days.

16 hours ago, Lori said:

Fleece, you must be kidding !

No I swear by it. Insulation. Like the roof of your house. No insulation….you are going to cook at night.

I wear a fleece….well a short sleeved one. I will work in a fleece in this type of heat.

Think of sheep in a field with all their wool during a heatwave. Cows find shelter under a tree. Sheep don’t give a ….t.

My cat has long fur….she is out there doing her stuff. All the other cats around here (short haired) have gone. Too hot for them.

Insulation.

I am wearing a xxl large white baggy shirt today and I am sweating like a pig. My fleece is in the washing machine. When it is dry…it is going back on.

16 hours ago, Lori said:

51 minutes ago, menthe said:

"too hot to work in the garden"?  Too hot to work inside the house as well!  As for cooking.....it's like cooking in the fires of hell.

The humidity is the worst aspect.  I sit quietly indoors and the sweat just pours off my head onto my face.....

Our gardeners could not come yesterday.  Their office has given them the week off.  Just as well as I couldn't cope with anyone having a heat crisis in our garden.

Buy a dehumidifier. We have one. It brings down humidity from 70% to 50 % in 2hrs. The water it accumulates I give to the garden. A good 1 litre per hour.

Win win.

The humidity in the air is warming due to the heat. This is making you sweat. Bring that humidity down….

32 minutes ago, NormanH said:

You can find very cheap t-shirts and light shorts or trousers at Lidl online. I had a few delivered as when it is hot one sometimes changes a few times a day.

https://www.lidl.fr/h/mode-pour-homme/h10018822?pageId=10018877%2F10018822

I have a couple of their linen shorts and I love them.  Very light weight, comfortable and they wash well.  Better yet the price !

9 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Buy a dehumidifier. We have one. It brings down humidity from 70% to 50 % in 2hrs. The water it accumulates I give to the garden. A good 1 litre per hour.

Win win.

The humidity in the air is warming due to the heat. This is making you sweat. Bring that humidity down….

ALBF, I like the idea of one of these.  Can you tell me the make of your dehumidifier and give me an idea of cost, stp?

9 hours ago, menthe said:

ALBF, I like the idea of one of these.  Can you tell me the make of your dehumidifier and give me an idea of cost, stp?

Hi Mint

It is this one from Amazon…

COMFEE' Déshumidificateur 2-EN-1,Elimine l'humidité jusqu'à 20L/Jour, Purification d'air avec ioniseur, 4 Modes, Fonction Air Swing, Contrôle APP, Idéal pour pièces de 37-52㎡, Easy Dry 20

Just tap that into Amazon.fr

When you run it for and hour or so and see how much water it collects you will be amazed. 
You need to get your living space or your sleeping space down to 50-55%. Its the humidity that is making you feel a lot hotter and uncomfortable. If you reduce the humidity and then put a fan on you will be fine. Running a fan in high humidity is pointless.
It also has a blow cold air function and a clothes drying function. 
Very portable.

Here is a little story for. 
I did not know these things existed until we visited a woman who restores antique paintings. She had one in her workshop and explained how it worked and why she had to keep humidity down.  I thought to myself…I need one of them.

On the death bed of MRS ALBF Aunt, she told her of a painting on top of a cupboard in Besancon that has been there untouched since the sixties. Its an oil painting on wood. Unsigned.

It was bought in an Antique shop in Paris in the 30’s. It was believed to be a painting by a very famous French painter. When we got it back to Tours I did loads of research on it. Unfortunately it is not that painter. If it was, it would be worth millions. But for sure, it is not him.

After weeks of intensive googling I managed to find only one painter (very famous ) that was renowned for that type of work….greek mythology.

Anyway, we took the painting to the woman to be restored and as soon as we took the painting out of its protection she said immediately oooh its ….a blah blah. My French painter.

There you go…funny old world.

Its not signed unfortunately. So its value is limited. But I am keeping it.

Thank you very much, ALBF.  I'll have a good look.  AND I like your story.

See, that's your reward for all the bureacracy and stuff you have to do for all the elderly folk that you wrote about on another thread.  Er....one good deed deserves another😀

ALBF, I have had a look at the Amazon site and have decided that I don't need one as powerful as yours.  Our rooms are small and I think the next size down will do us nicely.

Anyway, I am going to buy one and test it and, if I like it, I can always get a second one.  Would save carrying the thing around from room to room.

Thanks again for your helpful info.

10 hours ago, menthe said:

ALBF, I have had a look at the Amazon site and have decided that I don't need one as powerful as yours.  Our rooms are small and I think the next size down will do us nicely.

Anyway, I am going to buy one and test it and, if I like it, I can always get a second one.  Would save carrying the thing around from room to room.

Be careful Mint……it is very small…..it is only about 50 cms high. 

It will only collect about 1.5 l of water before it powers off and you have to empty the tray.

The more powerful it is the quicker it will get rid of the humidity.

I would not go smaller personally.

I have little 40 euro tiny one. It collects water but has no real impact on humidity levels.

10 hours ago, menthe said:

Edit

Sorry, the link I sent you was for the 20 l version.

Mine is the 16l version…..That is the one you want. Do go smaller than 16l.

Yes, thanks for the further advice.  Have now looked at the 16 litre ones and there is a lot of choice.

Don't know how useful people's "stars" and comments are but I will tread a bit more carefully, take some time to choose but I am very excited to get one of these things because I am hoping it will help my asthma as well.

25 minutes ago, menthe said:

One further question, stp, ALBF.  How do you find the noise level?  For example, can you hear the tv OK if the machine is on?

Ok, noise is going to be subjective but it is quiet (for me) and yes you can watch Tv. No problems. It is a mild nice air noise. If you sit next to it will blow cold air at you. That said it does produce a little heat. But I prefer a hotter dry environment than a wet less hot environment. If that makes sense.

In terms of Asthma, I just googled that, apparently it helps maintaining humidity levels for asthma sufferers. All I can say is that I have suffered from allergies for the last 10 years and take prescription medicine. I have also suffered sinus problems for the last year. Since using it, sinus problems have gone and allergies are none existent at the moment. Do allergens suspen in humidity ?

All I can say is that I breathe better and no longer cough every two minutes or have a runny nose. I still take my meds but I don’t think I need them. My little five year has been coughing for the last year or so. That has gone. He has an inhaler. But does not need it now.

Need more time with the machine to see it is the cure. Maybe other factors are at play.

ALBF, tu es là?  I am replying on here instead of by PM, in case someone else on the forum can benefit!

The dehumidifier arrived yesterday and, blimey, did I have a job carrying it into the houese!  it's mighty heavy!

Anyway, left it standing upright for 24 hours as advised.  Put it on today just after lunch time, in our sitting room.  Humidity was 54% so OKish.  Put the machine on and within about 30 minutes, the humidity was down to 46%.  The air felt fresher and I did not cough, not even once.

No sweating, comfortable, happy...

Thank you, ALBF! 

Will try it tonight in the bedroom.