Complete France Forum

might as well enjoy them?

As we are living with wall to wall Olympic Games, I reckon we might as well get into the spirit and have some comments and discussions about them.

So, for example, which events do you most enjoy, which bore you to tears?  Have you learned or heard anything new or amusing in the course of watching your favourites?

I'll start, predictably, with 7-a-side rugby.  Great to watch, fast and furious and the bonus is watching Dupont go about his business, not to mention the wonderful atmosphere when France took the gold.

The funniest moment came today, after I switched to UK TV and an interview was being conducted with one of the team. Not sure if he was the captain.  The interviewer asked whether the French crowd felt like les bleus had an extra player.  Yes, the interviewer said, the crowd was, how do you say it, the "eightième" player!  I did find that very amusing.

If they put a couple of sharks in the swimming pool whilst they do the synchronized swimming….then I would probably watch it. 

100 metres whilst being chased by a Lion ? The runners would go faster. Records would be broken. It becomes watchable.

The romans had a better idea gladiatorial entertainment.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

Just found this online regarding woman's beach volleyball.

'The women’s beach volleyball format, by the way, is that there are six pools each featuring four pairings, who play each other in a round-robin format. The top two in each pool progress to the round of 16. The six pairings in third place in their pools are ranked, and the top two of those also go through to the round of 16. Then there are lucky loser play-offs to determine which final two pairs also progress.'

Now why would anyone want to extend this particular competition so much I wonder.🤫
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry, but I just cannot get interested in any of it.

Won't turn the TV on during the daytime and by evening, after some local news, I'd like to be somewhat entertained and the Olympics just won't do it for me.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, anotherbanana said:

Lori, for entertainment read Donald Trump’s speeches!😵‍💫🤡

Considering what's at stake here, whatever Trump says is not the least bit entertaining.

😒

I guess here is another reason I would not tune in.  Anyone born male should not be allowed to compete in women's sports competition (and vice versa as if anyone would attempt it). And to try to play the victim (the male) for being disqualified previously is sickening.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/olympics/boxing-algerian-khelif-advances-after-italys-carini-abandons-fight-after-46-2024-08-01/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lori said:

I guess here is another reason I would not tune in.  Anyone born male should not be allowed to compete in women's sports competition (and vice versa as if anyone would attempt it). And to try to play the victim (the male) for being disqualified previously is sickening.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/olympics/boxing-algerian-khelif-advances-after-italys-carini-abandons-fight-after-46-2024-08-01/

A bloke beating up a woman in a ring has now become an Olympic sport. 

This is basically what we are saying…..and watching. The bloke is bloke. He is a bloke. And he seems to like beating up women.

Is this entertainment ?

You can’t make it up.

Has the French media picked up on this yet ? In a country (France) that has a serious problem with men beating up and killing women?

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Like 1

Yes, it's all over the media, including French.

Yes, I agree it is the lowest of low to make men beating up women an accepted (and even awarded) sport.

Shameful !

I saw that too, if you mean that Algerian "woman" boxer.  Then some official comes out and tries to justify it, talking about testing testosterone levels.

It may not be OK to say it, but really, I didn't need to know about testing.  I only needed to look at that fighter to be able to say that ain't no woman!

12 hours ago, NormanH said:

I may be old fashioned but I don't think of boxing as a sport for any type of women, or for men either given  the strong possibility of brain damage..

I have always felt the same way.  Beating on each other til bloody - yeah right ... progress.

12 hours ago, menthe said:

I only needed to look at that fighter to be able to say that ain't no woman!

Agree.  World's gone mad.

Now for something more uplifting.  Has anyone watched Leon Marchand in la Defense!  What a swimmer and seems a nice lad in interviews.

The French are changing the words of the Marseillaise when he wins.  Instead of Marchons! Marchons! they sing Marchand! Marchand!

• Like 1

PLEASE, somebody, tell me you watched that Swedish pole vaulter break his own record last night!

It was quite the most thrilling Olympic feat that I have witnessed during these many days.

EVERYBODY, including the 2 runners-up plus practically each one of the spectators in the stadium were spell-bound and wishing him success.  His opponents were joshing him and HELPING him, encouraging him, putting on plasters on his hand, smiling at him etc.  So lovely to see, THIS is surely the Olympic spirit?  Would that we saw this in all the events?

When he succeeded at the 3rd attempt, the whole stadium erupted with applause and all three medalists, jumped and whooped and danced round the stadium.  It brought a smile to my face, just got caught up with the enthusiasm.