Complete France Forum

OK I'll say it

The Olympic opening ceremony was rubbish. I gave up after the flag arrived on the slowest moving horse I'd ever seen only to be replaced by one they made earlier which they then managed to fly upside down. I know they couldn't help the rain but watching various artists lip syncing to rehearsal tracks was mind blowingly tedious although I did feel sorry for the poor sound guy ( lift the fader, yep it's still raining ).

I ended up hoping one of the guys on the BMX's would fall into the Seine just to liven things up.

I have just watched Céline Dion on YouTube and she was magnificent. It's a shame the rest of the ceremony didn't come close to her performance.

I can't be bothered to find out who the masked man was.

I watched to see the various Paris sites.

Celine Dion?  Sorry DL, I remarked to my husband (before I even knew who she was), 'that's one way to murder a song"🤢

I thought it was all a bit bitty and I couldn't see any coherent theme.  Also I feared for the people dancing, doing tricks, parading up and down the catwalk, etc, in case they fell over and got injured.

23 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

Well, normally Céline Dion isn't to my taste either but, considering how ill she is, I thought her performance was incredible.

I'm not a great fan either, and didn't think that she would be well enough, but her performance was so much better than I had feared.

7 hours ago, Loiseau said:

Apparently a character from some game called Assassins' Creed.

OMG Really??

I didn't recognise him. Though, if you're right it would make more sense to the rest of set pieces.

15 hours ago, Le martin-pêcheur said:

Why Titanic?............ because the performance "went down well" Sorry couldn't resist that one!😉

Yes but also Celine Dion is famous for singing the song in the Film Titanic.

They should have had Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet strapped to the front of one of the peniches sailing down the Seine whilst she was singing her heart out.

To be fair I did not watch the ceremony. I have no interest in the olympics. Chucking a stick or a ball further than someone else is not a sport. Nor is skateboarding. Running in a straight line. Swimming in straight line. Don’t get me started by Judo. Could go on and on about this.

Snooker is a sport. Probably the hardest sport in the world. Why is snooker not included in the Olympics but skateboarding is ?

Its all b**locks

9 hours ago, Loiseau said:

Apparently a character from some game called Assassins' Creed.

THANK YOU, Loiseau.  Alas, I too did not have enough interest in the matter to even wonder who was dressed up like that!

Also clueless about Assassins' Creed.  Life is too short to worry about what doesn't fill you with wonder and curiosity.

• Thanks 1

Happily was othrwise engged, recovering from  grotty roads all day .. M25/M11/ etc all at standstill.  I was meeting one nephew and eating .. much better than watching a rain drenched opening ceremony .. in the dark with automtions which didn't work as far as I could see on morning re-running  whilst having breakfast in the hotel!!!

And to watch Simone Biles.....wonderful!

Actually all the gymnasts fill be with awe.  To be able to do flips and somersaults on that tiny wooden beam that is however many feet from the ground!

At the moment I'd find it an achievement to be able to walk in a straight line at ground level.