Complete France Forum

Unadulterated Eurovision rubbish

What a waste or time and resources; puerile, samey songs and sets, ridiculous performers, ridiculous costumes (or lack of them!) and far too much grotesque LGBTV emphasis. 

With Suits as one alternative (BBC3) which was at best a parody of a parody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Vote Brexit…oooh hang on that has been done. 

Everyone wants to live in the UK to escape the the EU… beacuse we are the coolest peeps on the planet…and we have pubs….…but they can’t vote for our f****** song.. Lol.

Can I remind them of all the best music ever created was from the UK.

The Eurovision……is for peeps that don’t have a life.

Doctor who is just BBC a woke affair.

The world has gone mAd.

The Eurovision is an embarrassment.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

I agree regarding Doctor Who.

As far as Eurovision is concerned, I reckon that's the last one we'll ever see. Considering what was going behind the scenes, I surprised it made it to air at all. You shouldn't have to threaten artists to make them go out on stage. Petra Mede's an old hand but you could see the tension in her face throughout the entire show. Even Graham Norton sounded like he was commentating on a funeral.

Like it or not the LGBT community have been propping up the show for years. By treating them ( and their artists ) with contempt, Eurovision have just lost their last major audience. I predict a rival company ( Netflix? ) will come up with something similar in the near future and Eurovision ( and possibly even the E.B.U. ) will be consigned to the trash.

Frankly, after this week, they deserve it.

These organisations have a history of lingering on and on and on and on mainly because those involvedhave a nice little earner that they are reluctant to give up. I call it civil servant syndrome.

Maybe there will be a return to Jeux Sans Frontières!🙀

1 hour ago, anotherbanana said:

These organisations have a history of lingering on and on

Not this time I suspect. For a start both the Netherlands and Belgium broadcasters are seriously pi55ed off by the attitude of the Eurovision chief Martin Osterdahl. Secondly participating artists are already coming forward with stories of the toxic atmosphere backstage. The E.B.U. are monetizing Eurovision like crazy yet still expecting the PSB's to pay the costs of hosting ( or even participating in ) the event.

As you say,it's all about the money, and why should public service broadcasters fork out for a show that you can watch, for free, live on YouTube.

I haven't watched it since they stopped singing songs with any element of true musicality in them - ones you could sing along to without the whole backing band, without anything but the simplest of settings (and which are still sung today as it happens).  Today they are judging the scenery IMHO from what I saw of the  pre-pub (unavoidable even when watching the News!).  Happily, I always have better things to do than watch a whole load of TV, and if we are really stuck, there's always a DVD or video - yes, we are still in the dark ages here .. even reading a book would have been preferable to watching the junk that passes for popular music these days!!

• Like 1

Talking of music...........I wish people would stop putting the words "rap" and "music" in the same phrase. IMHO rap is not music, it is not even a sound it is a noise!! Just sayin' 🙂

Many of my generation (no reference to the Who song🙂) learned to play instruments, played in bands and wrote songs with meaningful content. Not sure what is happening these days:classic_sad:

18 minutes ago, Le martin-pêcheur said:

I wish people would stop putting the words "rap" and "music" in the same phrase

I think that ship has sailed.

As someone who learnt their first rap over 45 years ago, I've never really considered it music either. More like rhythmical poetry.

• Like 1

Just a thought ........... everybody who has commented on here so far has been totally anti yesterday’s nonsense.

Are there any dissenting, or rather, supportive views ?

If there are, then do say so.  Nobody is going to jump down your throat !!!   

5 hours ago, Le martin-pêcheur said:

Many of my generation (no reference to the Who song🙂) learned to play instruments, played in bands and wrote songs with meaningful content.

Not sure whether this will change your mind.

Another version of this years UK's Eurovision entry.

Yes, the BAFTA’’s are horrible, are they not?  This time of the year is just a succession of award shows and Bank Holidays.

Am I grumpy ?   Me ?   Not at all.

On 12/05/2024 at 10:41, anotherbanana said:

With Suits as one alternative (BBC3) which was at best a parody of a parody

Although, one has to say, with one of the best theme tunes in the last decade.