Complete France Forum

Thought I saw the light at the tunnels end.

SD - Thank you for the info - he is staying with us in UK atm and is on a fact finding mission.

S17 - Wish he was a Millionaire :) My OH is an only child!!!!!! No, just a regular FIL but he does have a private pension as well as OAP state, so lives quite well. He doesn't like to be short though as he enjoys good wine and good food. It is good news about the tax situation though as it all helps. We want him to come over because he is a widower now and although he has lots of friends, we are his only family. (Anyway, he can help me with my veggie growing and advise on wine! Not that I want him around for selfish reasons or anything!)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Annie, which area you's gonna be moving to?

Trouble with France is, as my OH always says, the last place you visit is always the nicest.  It's quite a problem deciding which area to go to. 

Sometimes I wish I'd gone to some of the other areas we visited before we bought here.  But, the weather this summer has been so glorious and the landscape has been so enchanting that I often think I couldn't bear to be anywhere else.

We are in 56. Bought as a holiday home originally, which was the main factor on choice of area - proximity to UK. We are happy with area but would have looked further a field had we known we would make it full time. I am a bit of a sunshine freak; we both are, so we may end up moving further south eventually. Not S of F necessarily, but somewhere around west/southwest coast. Sunshine in the summer and rugby in the winter. Perfect!

[quote user="AnOther"]Can anyone (would anyone) actually choose to live in France solely on a UK state pension which is what, about €5600/annum !

Isn't that below the self sufficiency threshold for legal residency ?

[/quote]

My parents live on a state pension...and save £2.5k a year - so it is possible.  Having said that, they live in the UK where the cost of living is a lot lower.

10K is being generous Ern , the actual amount is less than 8k.

married couple £150.30 a week = £7919 a year

£7919 - £2500 savings = £5419 = £104 a week

We spend their weekly amount on food alone , I think we need some tips from Scooby`s parents on how to do it .

[quote user="krusty"]

10K is being generous Ern , the actual amount is less than 8k.

married couple £150.30 a week = £7919 a year

£7919 - £2500 savings = £5419 = £104 a week

We spend their weekly amount on food alone , I think we need some tips from Scooby`s parents on how to do it .

[/quote]

This may be the figure for a married couple from the husband's pension, but will be more if both have entitlement to state pension in own right.  Pension credit (in the UK) probably kicks in as appropriate also.  Regardless of the exchange rate etc, I think it would be difficult (tho not impossible, but depending on your "requirements") to manage entirely and only on a state pension - but as as far as I know, no-one should have to depend solely on the UK state pension (that is if the Govt blurb is to be believed).

And from what someone earlier in the thread has said, there are is also some help in France for those on very low incomes.

Archived