Complete France Forum

More hijab nonsense

What purpose does the Council of Europe serve? To encourage Unity, of course and to provide jobs, apparently, for the insensitive and/or stupid.

Imagine running a poster campaign in favour of the hijab, ever, but particularly in a French Presidential election year when the extreme Right seem rampant:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20211103/european-rights-body-pulls-pro-hijab-campaign-after-french-outcry/

Might just add my pennyworth!!! Politicians seem to make a mess of most things and the arguments surrounding the hijab and indeed other coverings and religious practices exemplifies the mistakes made over the years; and not only in France but other countries. My view is that once a person has been accepted by a country, without any pre-conditions then that person should be allowed to follow whatever traditions they want to. I believe it wrong that people are told retrospectively, that after having been accepted they have to dress differently or behave differently, of course there is going to be trouble.

Potential immigrants should be told of any requirements regarding their dress or customs before permission is granted to immigrate then, if they accept the conditions, there can be no argument. If they refuse then they are not allowed to settle. Hindsight is wonderful of course but governments have to be held responsible. The genie is very much out of the bottle now and the problems that mass unfettered immigration is causing can only become worse. Any attempts at controlling it or even suggestions about controlling it are met by screams from the left that the extreme right is advocating something dreadful. Meanwhile it just gets worse!

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Might just add my pennyworth!!! Politicians seem to make a mess of most things and the arguments surrounding the hijab and indeed other coverings and religious practices exemplifies the mistakes made over the years; and not only in France but other countries. My view is that once a person has been accepted by a country, without any pre-conditions then that person should be allowed to follow whatever traditions they want to. I believe it wrong that people are told retrospectively, that after having been accepted they have to dress differently or behave differently, of course there is going to be trouble.

Potential immigrants should be told of any requirements regarding their dress or customs before permission is granted to immigrate then, if they accept the conditions, there can be no argument. If they refuse then they are not allowed to settle. Hindsight is wonderful of course but governments have to be held responsible. The genie is very much out of the bottle now and the problems that mass unfettered immigration is causing can only become worse. Any attempts at controlling it or even suggestions about controlling it are met by screams from the left that the extreme right is advocating something dreadful. Meanwhile it just gets worse!

Questions about "La laïcité" form an important part of the  interview that one passes when applying for French nationality, so no-one could claim be unaware.

4 hours ago, NormanH said:

Questions about "La laïcité" form an important part of the  interview that one passes when applying for French nationality, so no-one could claim be unaware.

The point is that people have been told, retrospectively, that their dress and customs have to change. The hijab is still legal in France but if the amendments are made to legislation then it could become illegal. As is the full Burka head covering which was legal. People who were accepted in France had to change, after being accepted as they were.

I see your point, but as it says in the video the new law of 2010 which bans full coverings (and includes helmets and balaclavas etc) in certain places is there as a security precaution, not as part of the principle of secularism. It might been seen as a response to the threat of terrorism.

My point still is that if a country accepts immigrants with its present laws then changes the laws after they have accepted the immigrants that, I feel, is wrong. It might be seen as all sorts of things, racism even!!

The hijab was not as common among Muslim women until relatively recently. During my time in Libya an Egyptian member of staff, wife of a Muslim Brother suddenly appeared with a scarf, and female students told me that there was suddenly pressure on them to cover. Same a few years later in Kuwait many were uncovered when we got there but by the time the left three years later they were all covered and female students were ‘encouraged’ to sit apart from the males.

There is no reason for the hijab not to be banned in public spaces as it is a political statement and goes against human rights

Couldn't agree more Woolly!

There is no such prescription in the Quoran and neither is there any such stricture in any of the Hadiths.

It is subjugation of women, pure and simple.

What utterly amazes me, is how the very same Liberal-Lefties who demand women's rights etc, support Islam and immigrant's rights to try and impose their lifestyles on the host countries.