Complete France Forum

Termite survey required each year?

Just had the equivalent of a junk / sales phone call for a termite survey in the village next week.  Whilst I would not normally take much notice (if I need a survey doing I'll chose my own company, thank you), but he was trying hard to tell me that surveys for termites had to be done every year in the Languedoc Rousillon area, hence we really should have this done etc etc....  This is news to me.  And I could call and talk to the mairie - but - does any one know how accurate his statement was, or was it merely his sales pitch.   This is not to do with expertises required on selling but a general "we will be in your village next week etc). 

It's a good idea to get it checked out from time to time but my termite firm comes for free.

My termite firm tells me that once you have had termites and it has been treated, it is recommended that you re-apply the chemical to the outside walls every 5 years and the inside wood every 10 years.

A very large; famous energy supplier in France phoned  to try to sell me a solar heating system. I told the guy that as I was within 500 metres of a "Historic Monument" I was not allowed to put panels on my roof, "nonsence" he said, So I asked if he would like to explain that to our Mayor; who had just called to bring us some paperwork, I handed the phone to the Mayor and told him someone wanted to speak to him,  he put the phone to his ear, looked puzzled and said, "who ever that was has just hung up" .[:D]

[quote user="NormanH"]Needed for selling, but otherwise not.

[/quote]

Indeed, this I did know.  I refrained from telling him (or rather I couldn't think quickly enough in French) tht since were were in the process of moving and would be needing a survey then, so not going to bother etc etc now, but he was definitely insistence it should be done each year!  I am sure that the advice on checking every 5 years is a good idea, but, as long as it's not mandatory ......

They will try anything, won't they.  I "guessed" it was probably a junk call - though we are registered not to receive them, because it was presque midi, l'heure de manger, when they all try .....

It's a load of rowlocks.

My first technique when they ask for Monsieur Xxxx, (they never want to speak to OH) was to ask "Que vendez vous?".  My new technique is just to say "Yeeees".  They hang up.

Rotten really, because (the people doing the ringing) are mostly regular people, just trying to earn a crust.

• 3 months later...
I've only just found this thread so sorry for the late reply?

My stock reply to anyone trying to sell things like surveys or solar is to just tell them that I'm only renting the place. Works 99% of the time! Je suis le locataire. Normally a pardon and they go away.

Archived