Complete France Forum

Can anyone resident in or near to Calais, or indeed

anyone who stops there to top up, recommend anywhere to buy an everyday

vdp, preferably in five or 10 litre boxes.

I've identified a five

litre box in Carefour (l'héritage de Carillan) at €8,95 but if anyone

knows of other similarly priced offerings then I'd be pleased to hear.

Expensive wine box!

Go through the old town centre and head for the commercial park and Aldi.

Most quaffable vin ordinaire such as Chateau bottled Corbieres @ € 1,49 a bottle: young and slightly aggressive Bergerac for € 1,29: very nice Bordeaux Superior @ € 1,89 and so on. Aldi's Macon Village for € 3,29 is excellent value. Good price these days for a Bourgogne vin.

Aldi also offer very good value in 5 Litre wine boxes: as do Carrefour: a 10 Litre box of Cabernet Sauvignon for circa € 12,00.

For a wider variety and some really good wines try Pidou: just off the A 16 at Marck. You will recognise it (It's on an industrial estate) by all the trucks and coaches outside! Here:

Then there's Majestic Wines at Calais: Here:

And if you want to go to a proper old fashioned French wine merchants instead of one of those tourist dumps like Eastenders there is a fantastic one a little way inland at Bonningues les Ardres.

Dont go asking for wine boxes there though unless you want to eat the trottoir [:P]

[quote user="Chancer"]

Dont go asking for wine boxes there though unless you want to eat the trottoir [:P]

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with wine boxes, JRC: increasingly used now to ship wine in bulk. Many bars and restaurants buy their vin de maison in 10 Litre boxes.

Mainly 'cos they allow wine to be drawn off yet totally exclude air: thus the wine doesn't oxidise, as it is used.

French friends buy much wine from the Loire and further South in boxes: ship it back to PdC and bottle it in their Cave.

It's about the cheapest way to buy forward for vin ordinaire.

Teetotal now so couldnt be even if I wanted to be [:)]

Actually now that I actually read the title you did say glugging wine so for that I agree the boxes cant be beaten.

I used to enjoy the Aldi one, cant even remember the name now but it was very smooth, then I graduated to buying wine from the cuve of a local wholesaler who did re-fillable 10 litre boxes.

Not snobbery but the problem for me at least with wine boxes was that unless you limit your consumption to say 2 glasses only you rapidly lose track of how much you are drinking and dont have the audit trail of empty bottles the next day.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Not snobbery but the problem for me at least with wine boxes was that unless you limit your consumption to say 2 glasses only you rapidly lose track of how much you are drinking and dont have the audit trail of empty bottles the next day.

[/quote]

So true...........

malheureusement !

[:$]

Archived