Complete France Forum

Can you tell me now ???

Frenchie

Am I the only one retired in france thats bored rigid, the house is sorted, the garden is maintenance free, all the markets are the same, and because we see our friends quite often, there's not much to talk about.

Sorry Panda, but I really am SO bored, I love to read, but can't do that all day, hate cooking so that's out, quite like housework, but not all day, I dont travel very well either, hope you are not loosing  the will to live, the truth of the matter is, I wasn't really ready to retire, hubby was, so I went along with his plans of a better life, it really is for him, but not for me, I miss the company of my work mates, and the routine of just going to work, we do have lots of friends here, but its the sameness of it all, at work you never knew what the day would bring, over here I can predict for the month ahead, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with france, I just don't want to live here, so as hubby does, for me this is it.

OK Belle...

Start doing your family tree!

It is VERY addictive - and the hours will wizz by!

pm me if you'd like me to get you started!!!....at least you will create something that future generations of your family ( and extended family ) will be grateful for!

You might even start getting that feeling of self  achievement!!

French Health Issues is always looking for volunteers!

Seriously though, why not try to find some voluntary work?

The alternative is to tell your o/h that you are unhappy and that this is not the life for you.  It seems a terrible shame to spend your final years feeling fed up and locked into a decision you shouldn't have made.  At the risk of sounding like a trick cyclist, I think you need to sit down with him and sort this out.  Your life shouldn't revolve around his idea of utopia - a marriage is a partnership, and you should both decide where it goes next, not just one of you.

Frenchie, I hope that you had a good walk. (My sister-in-law who lives near Albi certainly had snow).

Our walk was enlivened by putting our lurcher's coat on him. My daughter has christened it his 'cloak of evil' as when it it is on him he abandons his normal genial laid-back persona in favour of that of a menacing thug - dashing up to inofensive labradors at full speed with a threatening snarl etc. Just for the fun of seeing them panic. Very effective whilst the snow is falling.

He feels that his disguise is complete. "Who was that masked lurcher"?

We also had a five and a half month old puppy (faux-basset) with us, walking on an extended lead. If Jaques Tati ever made a film about the problems of walking a dog on an extended lead, this puppy had seen it and learnt all the prattfalls...

Hello Renaud..

Yes, we had a good walk , we went to a place we never go to, and it was a pleasure to see Shadow run and be happy.. he can run for ages ...

Thank God we didn't meet the masked lurcher [:D]

My dog is a lab X husky, he doesn't need a coat..

As for the snow, I guess we ll have to wait til next year ... [:(]

[quote user="Belle"]Am I the only one retired in france thats bored rigid, the house is sorted, the garden is maintenance free, all the markets are the same, and because we see our friends quite often, there's not much to talk about.[/quote]

Hi Belle

Like you I live in a rural area... not much to do this time of year , my house is tidy my garden to wet to work in etc... although since starting to learn french all my spare time is taken up with this , keeping on top of the homework.(hows yor french ?)  Also a few of us started a book club which has turned out better than I expected , once a month we get a book given to us by the library so we have no choice in the matter, which has worked out well as we are all reading out side our normal choices. then 4 weeks later we meet at each others houses and discuss it. its certainly an eye opener ... and fun. (you say you like to read) or see if you can join some kind of class locally its always good to be learning and keep the grey cells working. or maybe a new sport to keep fit and meet people .

As has already been said how about voluntry work thats very satisfieing. Have a word with hubby maybe there is some thing you could both do. How about beg , borrowing or stealing a camper van and exploring a little more of france than wot is on the door step. you never know you might find a more interesting place to live.

The main thing is not to fall into the trap of moaning about having nothing to do then doing nothing about it ..... its your life and no one is going to live it for you but you. GET UP ..... GET OUT ..... AND LIVE IT............... good luck to you

Or you could do like some on here and make this forum your family.... life and stay on here 24/7 [Www]