Complete France Forum

Drink driving...

richard51

This happened to an Englishman in France who was totally drunk.

The French policeman stops his car and asks the gentleman if he has

been drinking. With great difficulty, the Englishman admits that he has

been drinking all day, that his daughter

got married in the morning to a French man, and that he drank champagne

and a few bottles of wine at the reception and a quite few glasses of

single malt there after.

Quite upset, the policeman proceeded to breath test him and asks the Englishman if he knows under

French law why he is going to be arrested.

The Englishman answers

with humour: No sir, I do not! But while we're asking questions, do you

know that this is a British car and my wife is driving... on the other

side???

So funny!  [:D]

We were stopped by a patrol out testing alcohol levels on the way back to Bergerac after a day in Sarlet when we were in the area for lunch on lovely Cooperlola's Itchy Feet tour. The officer started to come to my side of the car to test me, but eventually spotted that the steering wheel was on the other side. What fun if the scenario given had happened to us!

Had a similar experience before we moved to the continent. Car had cooling problems (leaking hose) so made it to a garage and asked if they could fix it. No problem. The workshop guys asked the grease monkey apprentice to drive it onto the ramp. He opened the passenger door (ie would have normally been the driver's door)and was gob-smacked to find no steering wheel.

Much hilarity all round - must have been almost as good as sending him for a glass hammer or a left handed screw driver.

I got stopped and breathalysed a couple of summers ago. I got out of the car and began speaking to one gendarme, whilst the other appeared to spend a moment checking that there wasn't a person of restricted height sitting on the left hand side of the car and actually driving. Double whammy as my car is French-registered although RHD.

My friend's wife, who is a north country lass with a very wicked sense of humour, actually blew into the bag as requested.  Only after that did she point out to the officer that she was not in fact the driver.