Complete France Forum

Abba

Chris Head

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mentioned your age the other day Gay and I'm even older than you...  I think one of my first records was Diana by Paul Anka   [:)]

I have loved all those mentioned above, Freddy Mercury singing Barcelona, Dionne Warwick, the Supremes (Baby Love...), Boy George, Jimmy Somerville etc. etc.

But yesterday afternoon was one of the most enjoyable for a long time with Laurent Voulzy and Alain Souchon as the guest stars with Michel Drucker, those two are pure magic.  Did anyone see it?

[quote user="Russethouse"]I bet Miki & Dick are the only ones who even remember Frankie Vaughan, and even then they may not admit to it [:(][:(][/quote]

I remember Frankie, but wish I couldn't!![+o(] My first record was a Cliff 78 rpm jobbie. Livin Doll and I can still remember the words. Now it's Jethro Tull, Joni Mithchel, Carol King, Eris Clapton, Santana and some nice soothing stuff from Tom Waits. Oh yes, and a boat load of classical music too.

I too love music while I'm working and even like Abba sometimes. I often wonder if the Ebbie Jeebies ever managed to get their knuts out of that vice?[:-))]

[quote user="pads"]

[quote user="Russethouse"]Pads you must be young - the first record I bought was Frankie Vaughan - Tower of Strength.......but I had better keep quiet about that[;-)][;-)][/quote]

After the gold rush came out about 1970 when i was about 10ish that makes me Mmmmmmmish, Am I still young oh goodie, wish some one would tell my back that[;-)] It just took me a long time to buy my second record. 

[/quote]

I know just how old you aren't. I'm old, you ain't!!! (I ain't grumpy though[I])

Never bought many singles.  My first record was the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

Abba - not sure they ever topped Waterloo, though I reckon they were the disco kings/queens of the 70's along with Boney M and the BeeGees (SNF and all that).

[quote] I bet Miki & Dick are the only ones who even remember

Frankie Vaughan, and even then they may not admit to it [/quote]

My Dad told me about him but I think Dick knew him personally [:)]

I remember well seeing Neil Young (and James Taylor) in the late 60's

and early & 70's near Barcelona (many US Army personnel would take

a vacation in Spain after a stint in Vietnam and we heard quite a few

of the likes of Young, Taylor, Stills,  etc as the men would often

have the albums with them and in one bar in Sitges (the Cactus, what a

memoery eh ! ) some terrific albums we had not really heard before,

would be constantly played.

After the Goldrush was (is) one of the great albums (sorry SB but .....)

It was from all those U.S Army chaps that we also personally heard a lot

more of Buffalo Springfield, Poco and Iron Butterfly amongst

others......

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

I not only bought records at an early age, but I also had Cliff Richard on my bedroom wall and kissed him goodnight every night.   [geek]

[/quote]

No chance. I never got that enthusiastic [+o(][:-))]! Now Doris Day, that may have been different?

>>>Missyesbut!...I'm surprised you didn't mention Francoise Hardy, Claude Francois and Serge Gainsbough! By the way it's Sheila B. Devotion - "C'est ma premier surprise party...c'est ma premier surprise party!"<<<

Twinks! (Sorry. I forgot the B.)

I also had Hugues Aufray, Isabelle Aubret, Barbara, Julien Clerc, Marie Laforêt, Michel Delpech, Joe Dassin, Serge Lama, list is endless.... Christophe!

Aaahh Christophe!... j'ai dessiné sur cette plage, son doux visage....lalalalala... et j'ai crié! CRIÉ!! Aline, pour qu'elle revienne ....lalalala... Aline!...

A little confession : my kids are named Christophe(r) and Aline!! I had to add the r for the english out-laws contigent...

How far can one take being a fan!... mad!...

Beats them being called some awful family name which my MIL insisted on them having to carry on the family tradition... won't go at a tangent here, it is a whole new thread to itself: family names!....

How sad is this, like the majority of people my hubby has a very diverse taste in music. I wouldn't say he is a fan, but does like Gilbert O'Sullivan. Memories have just come flooding back and my heart rate actualy quickened for a moment there when missyesbut and Twinkle mentioned naming their chilren after their favorites. You guessed it, he wanted to name our baby Gilbert if it was a boy, I had nightmares near the end of my pregnancy and kept trying to come up with better names!

Now David Essex, I had his poster on my wall. He was SEXY.

Oh Christine -  I remember having David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman on my walls !!  Then, my Mom must have taken pity on me as she bought us tickets to see Bobby Sherman in concert.  Can't remember how old I was, but it seems like worlds ago..

You are younger than me Lori, Cliff Richard was only second best to Elvis who was also on the wall.    [:P]

At about the time of Diana (Paul Anka) we also had this song The Runaway Train, they were 78's, it was sung by a man, but I can't remember who it was, but I can remember his voice and the tune :

http://www.poppyfields.net/poppy/songs/train.html

We never had any Abba records, but when I think of them there's a song comes to mind, but can't think of the title and can't remember the words, but something like :

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme a man after midnight

gimme, gimme, gimme something something till the break of the day...

anyone know which one I mean   [:$]

David Cassidy - I used to dream about marrying him when I was about 12, looking at him now I think I've got a much better deal with MOH.   David Essex - now, he's still got the twinkliest, sexiest blue eyes imaginable and that lovely voice.  I was most upset when he decided not to take a part in Eastenders earlier this year.  Bit of a naughty boy as a youngster though, if you've ever read his autobiography.

We had a Spanish guy called Fernando staying with us in August and every time I went out into the kitchen MOH was standing there saying "do you think he can hear the drums".  It's ruined the song for me now!

Elvis was the biggest thing in my life as a young teenager but he inconsiderately died before my friend and I had saved enough money to go to Las Vegas to see him; Jim Morrison did the same thing - although in fact he was already dead before I realised that I was in love with him[:(]

>>Elvis was the biggest thing in my life as a young teenager but he inconsiderately died before my friend and I had saved enough money to go to Las Vegas to see him; <<<

When Elvis died I worked with one other girl, in an employment agency. She insisted on having the radio on all day (only usually tuned in for the racing results) and she spent most of the day sobbing. I'm amazed the temps got paid that week !

[quote user="Russethouse"] When Elvis died I worked with one other girl, in an employment agency. She insisted on having the radio on all day (only usually tuned in for the racing results) and she spent most of the day sobbing. I'm amazed the temps got paid that week ![/quote]

The day that Elvis died, I was rushing from a friend's flat in Sherpherd's Bush where I'd spent a couple of days off, back to St Albans where I worked. Some of the lines on the tube were on strike and it was quite a job to get to St Pancras! I was by Marble Arch where the newspaper bloke was shouting from the top of his voice 'Elvis is dead! Read all about it in the Standard!'

Needless to say that I arrived late in St Albans, got seriously told off and all I could say in my defence (and in a faltering english!) that 'The metro was on grève because Elvis had died !!'  [:$]  My boss just rolled over with laughter and left me looking like a dunce... What did I say?... was it my french accent?.... [:(]

[quote user="julia"]

How sad is this, like the majority of people my hubby has a very diverse taste in music. I wouldn't say he is a fan, but does like Gilbert O'Sullivan. Memories have just come flooding back and my heart rate actualy quickened for a moment there when missyesbut and Twinkle mentioned naming their chilren after their favorites. You guessed it, he wanted to name our baby Gilbert if it was a boy, I had nightmares near the end of my pregnancy and kept trying to come up with better names!

[/quote]

Thank you for that Julia - it made me giggle!

Archived