Complete France Forum

french hairdresser

La Vette

I have finally plucked up the courage to have my hair cut and styled and my local hairdresser.  My appointment is 4.30 today.  I will let you know what I come out looking like.  For you men out their who just have a razer flashed around your barnets, hair is very important to females and chosing a new hairdresser anywhere is always a traumatic experience.

Its important to us males as well, though rural French hairdressers seem to have no idea about different styles - you have the one they know, and that's it. At least we don't come out of one particular salon like the females, all with bright red hair (and red neck, red forehead etc). Some hairdressers are much better than others, of course.

As a mere dog, I just get taken to the grooming parlour three times a year, and go through all sorts of indignities being put in a bath, in a drying cabinet and chained up on a bench where I am attacked by this buzzing machine and the woman's scissors. All this effort just to come out looking more like a sheep than a proper dog.

Well I have come back with hair not too short and not a touch of red in sight - I'll sort that out myself later (I like short and red).  She was absolutely charming and has only had the business for a month.  I took in a photo of me from when I was last done in the UK and my grandson is on the photo which started the conversation.  I thought I would get out of all that chit chat but NO, the first thing she ask me was - you ladies know what is coming - have I been on holiday.  Anyway it turns out that we live next door but 2 to her parents and her uncle has the big house across from us.  Quite a concidence when you consider we live down a little chemin that goes nowhere and there are only 14 houses in total.  What a lovely chat we had about my grandson, her little girl, why we live here, her parents etc etc.  I was actually chuffed to bits that I had managed to hold a 20 minute conversation.  Hubby had his hair cut too and was very pleased with the result, normally he is left with a sticky up bit at the back.  We were given a card with 2 tokens on and when we have collected 7 (that's 7 hair appointments) we get the 8th appointment for free.  We will be going back again, she was lovely and did a lovely job.

Whilst i am pleased it all went well for you La Vette, part of me really wanted you to post picture of you with a bit of a hair disaster!!

Sorry [:$]

[img]http://smartsite.de/c/cordobo_de/wp-content/ladies-hairdresser.jpg[/img]

Louise

Just been to a French hairdresser for the first time in 6 years.  I've been doing it myself or having it cut by a lovely Welsh Valley girl whenever I visit my wonderful birthplace - I always get homesick at this time of year!

When the shampoo girl asked me to follow her to the sink, I politely asked if I could first have a quick word with the girl who would be cutting my hair.  I find it's easier to explain exactly what I want done when my hair is still dry and styled in front of a salon full of witnesses.

Result?  Exactly what I asked for.  I'm so pleased[:)]

I'm in a bit of a predicament.  I will explain.

I have been getting my hair cut in France since I moved here about 15 months ago by the same person.  Great, lovely job they have been doing.

2 months ago my hairdresser was unable to fit me in for over a week.  Now I'm the kind of person that needs their hair cutting as soon as I've made my mind up to get it cut.  So I opted to get it done by my daughters best friends Mum. Are you keeping up?  The first time was ok, a little shorter thatn I wanted, fortunately I have pretty long hair, so wasn't a real issue, and I kind of got to like it.

Well I decided to go back there last week for another cut and well I could have cried.  Not only is it way shorter than I ever thought possible, its not even a good job.  My kids even said how much they hated it and I had to swear them to secrecy not to say anything to my daughters friend.  After all I don't want to have any fallings out when we have all become accepted.

So what should I do next time it needs cutting?  I really don't want to run the risk of having iffy hair again.

Dotty

One of my best friends here is a hairdresser.  We kept falling out 'cos' I hated the way she cut my hair.  The last time she cut and coloured  it (6 years ago)  I actually cried in her salon!   She sent me a bouquet of flowers and said 'Sorry' -  that's how bad it was[:-))]

I went to see her at her home and I said that I prefered our friend-ship to her haircutting skills and that she wouldn't be cutting my hair ever again. She understood. 

I'm sorry but hair is important.  You have got to be sensible about this Dotty dear.  Go to your usual hairdresser - the other one botched it - that's not your fault.

Archived