Complete France Forum

Gordon Ramsay prog tonight

Gardian

Although I’m a Ramsay fan, I’m sure I would like him better if he swore less.

I wonder if anyone remembers the series of programmes a couple of years ago where various celebs were doing a crash course in French ? Marcus Brigstock was sent to work in a French kitchen where he was immediately reprimanded by the chef for using the word ‘merde’. Is this general in French kitchens I wonder.

Hoddy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having spent some of my yoof in a 'kitchen' all I can say was that the language is normal and I often ended up in tears - because I could not wash up fast enough. A 'kitchen' is a horrible place (unless you are not really cooking - notice 'that' name never came up - or you are very rich and it is a pastime).

I am now retired so swearing went on then and does now. Having eaten Gordons food - he is an angel with a short temper.

Bring back Mary Berry.

Not him but her

[quote user="Hoddy"]Marcus Brigstock was sent to work in a French kitchen where he was immediately reprimanded by the chef for using the word ‘merde’. Is this general in French kitchens I wonder.

Hoddy[/quote]

I doubt that Ducasse, Bocuse or Gagnaire would tolerate the kind of bad language Ramsay routinely uses.

At the level where they all are, kitchens operate as a team, where cooperation rather than antagonism makes things happen.

Having said that, when Ramsay wants to encourage someone, he knows how to praise them.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

http://www.orient-express.com/web/olem/olem_c5c_courses.jsp

I guess the person went on the 4 day courses ?

My sister got married at Le Manoir in 2006, she had shopped around the area for somewhere suitable and found that Le Manoir was the best value. ( At one place, only £5 per head cheaper the look was so shabby she actually asked if they planned on redecorating)

Everything was just perfect, banish any thought of usual function catering, the food and service were outstanding. The gardens, which you are free to wander around are worth a visit on their own - my bet is that those courses are really good value.

I like Jamie Olivers ideas but the constant feeling he should comb his hair drives me nuts..........

I used to like Mareille (sp) Johnson, but after two series we saw no more of her.

[/quote]

Enjoyed reading that website.    Just been told it was Matt Beasley who attended R. Blanc's place - it seems when he was head to head with him on a "choose the best dish" Ramsay won hands down, and this is when the comment was made.    On the programme I spoke of earlier (where R.Blanc gave couple's a chance of their own restaurant) it showed you his place (beautiful).   In my opinion lots of male celebs have that type of hairstyle.     Its one of those era's when they will look back on themselves and think "what the hell was I thinking of", a bit like the late 60's/early 70's shoulder length hair, kipper ties, platform shoes/boots etc.  I'd love to eat in Rick Stein's place in Padstow.

Di you are so right.  I used to work for a hotel company.  You did not want to be in the kitchen when the restaurant was full if you were at all swearing sensitive!  I did used to pity those poor young chefs.  Probably some of the most verbally-abused staff on the planet. And appallingly paid to boot.

The one and only Ramsey program that I watched started before the 9 - O clock watershed, I was enthralled and thought that he was really good and refreshingly different although I was concerned at the amount of bleeps that were used to cover his swearing.

When the program returned after the adverts at nine it was without the bleeps and for me unwatchable, I switched off and refused to watch any of his programs after that, not a problem now that I only have French TV.

I am not a prude and could probably swear him under the table in the right surroundings but it was just so unneccesary and ruined what had been till then an entertaining program.

Still he is a clever guy, he has got all of us talking about him and there is no such thing as bad publicity[:D]

If only...............

I am not interested in J Ramsay or his programme.  But, I want to say that I understand completely about what you say re swearing "in the right surroundings".  After all, there is no such thing as BAD language, only INAPPROPRIATE language.

I, too, do not care to have such language in my sitting-room.  After all, I would not use language like this (under normal circumstances)!

I watched a fair bit of the programme but switched off after a while.

Sadly, all that palm thumping and the now tiresome bad language got on my nerves.

Also, what a panicky sweaty state he gets himself into! He's only cooking a meal for heaven's sake.

I prefer Mastechef and also love Saturday Kitchen prsented by the dishy Mr Martin [:$]

Swearing is now part of the Ramsay "brand". It's expected so he delivers. That's only an observation, btw, not an indication of approval or otherwise. Chris Moyles is just a genetic malfunction. [+o(] But then, I am not his target audience.

Mireille Johnson is now to be found in that well-quipped kitchen in the sky - she died in 1999, I think it was. I have both of her Cook's Tour books and still use them.

Aha! Is that a  James Martin induced Hormone Spike I see above me? I do like Saturday Kitchen and do try a lot of the recipes but can't quite see why a frequently chauvinistic cook causes quite so many tremors in female breasts. [:P] His recipes do usually work well... maybe that's it? [;-)]

So sadly, what I termed, genererically, as "Oik-ism", some few years ago has become the Norm on British TV.

This is all the result, I fear, of TV media following my leader after one Janet Street-Porter and her teeth, persauded BBC bosses to focus effort on "Yoof" content.

Unfortunately today's media competes to outdo each other in their quest to plumb the depths of the gutter: rather than aspire to drive values upwards. Once the first person said "F***" live, on TV, then everyone else had to compete to show just how cool they were.

Sad. The English language is possibly the richest, in terms of adverbs and adjectives and indeed, construction. Endless Anglo-Saxon epithets to me simply prove how lacking in erudition and articulation the users are.

It seems all apart from numerous repetitive programmes on property, either make-overs (we used to call it redecoration!) or how to become a property magnate overnight, cooking seems to occupy viewer's minds.

Which is rather strange since the majority of younger people I know, whilst spending many thousands on poseur kitchens, then live on a combination of take aways and ready meals.

In my travels, I have enjoyed the privilege of eating in a number of supposed top eateries. They have varied enormously.

To Mrs GS and myself, cooking is something one does almost every day: not on high days and holidays and to impress visiting friends.

Ramsey for me, like most of the modern ilk of celebrity chefs, seems to pan fry nearly everything.

Personally, I enjoy quite simple food: few people are able to cook eggs properly, IMHO. Even fewer can prepare pan poached eggs, for example: angel's food!

Having just had lunch, which was a modest tuna sandwich, made with fresh brown bread which Mrs GS baked yesterday from stone ground organic wholemeal, I'm spoiled.

We both cook and take pride in our simple skills. We don't need overpaid, media-promoted hashslingers to advance concepts which ought to be foundational to anyone who has bothered to start with the basics and progress from there.

Our constant guru was and remains the late Robert Carrier, since his books are a ready reference source for methodology and style; particularly so in French Haute Cuisine. Interestingly, this is so for most serious professional chefs, too; not surprising since Carrier progressed from the school of Escoffier.

For me, the majority of these over-rated individuals of today are nothing less than media figures, rather than chefs. In income terms one can't knock the result.

I also suspect that their over-prices eateries cater to those who either want to be seen there: or want to boast that they have eaten there.

Couldn't agree more Russet!

And to me, that's one of the core problems.

It's like any skill: if you lack the basics, then trying to leapfrog into the advanced stuff is going to fail, really.

My sister in law spent thousands of my brothers dosh on what was described as a "Cordon Bleu" cookery school in Surrey, back in the late 80s.

However she buys ready prepared veg, oven-ready roast potatoes etc. Can't cook a decent roast dinner to save her life.

Christmas dinner was always a nightmare: aggressively esoteric stuffings and etc and inedible turkey.

Says it all for me.

"decline of the teaching of cookery and/or domestic science at school"

Absolutely right RH. The virtual abolition of home economics from the school curriculum also coincided the the abolition of 'proper' school meals. The social consequences have been immeasurable, not just from the decently produced, nutritious food point of view, but also from the eating as a social occasion point of view.

Hoddy

[quote user="Russethouse"]I suspect that are interesting parallels to be drawn between the decline of the teaching of cookery and/or domestic science at school and the rise of the TV chef.[/quote]

That's possible... but I think the change has also come about because more parents work - and work longer

hours and kids have more activities going on after school. The weekday family-all-together evening meal is a rarer thing and cooking from scratch is perceived by knackered parents to be a chore. Cookbooks and cookery shows are popular because "food (and lifestyles) like that" is something to aspire to (one day) but is not thought of as easily and quickly achieved.

Nigella Express (yes, I know it looked like a parody [6]) was attempting to address that I think... but wasn't it also the Nigella Express tv show which was sponsored by M&S advertising their pre-prepared food. [;-)]

I agree with that too - 'real' cooking is now on the level of spectator sport......

But a knowledge of the basics of cookery methods and nutrition is such a useful thing to have, and what is more, cookery can involve history, geography and maths. When I think that I was taught Cookery in the 60s, and now contrast the range of ingredients available today.......what a lost opportunity !

Why does "Everyone work harder today": is more stressed than ever: etc etc?

Everything today is such a damned fuss!

One young woman who used to work for me from her home, used to automatically feed her young kids on almost daily doses of Calpol! The slightest sign of anything (real or imagined!) and out it would come!

Oh yes; Calpol and Chicken Nuggets and chips most nights..................... She's a sort of exec for one of the biggest UK banks, BTW.

Personally, I think it's the media - again.

I've always worked long hours: so has Mrs GS: and we've always eaten good home cooked food.

All our parents did too: and lived through the grim years of the war (In London) up and down to the bomb shelter many nights and later on, wondering if a VI or a VII was going to land on your head!

Yes, the kids do have many extra-curricular activities these days. But so did I!

Personally, I think that all too often wisdom has been surplanted by  apparently frenetic activity: time gained from all sorts of time savings (dishwashers, washing machines; central heating and so on) has been simply frittered away on trying to cram in as many other things as possible.

Meanwhile, kids are badly fed on junk; enjoy little or no table manners and have no appreciation of the finer things of life.

And then, of course, take up binge drinking!

Sad.

Unfortunately Gluey I think you're right.  So where are all the kitchens/equipment/teachers etc going to come from? and how do they cram it into the timetable with all the other compulsory subjects? 

I always encouraged my two kids to cook and they can both look after themselves in style, no Pot Noodles here!  Now the eldest has gone to Uni he's regarded as a star because he can cook and will often feed the 5 of them sharing the house (and visitors too!), he gets fed for free as the others club together and buy the ingredients.  The great thing is that everyone wants to help and learn so he is like the head chef with all his commies running around. None of the others can even boil an egg, they went to boarding schools where all was provided literally on a plate.

When he comes home for a weekend, he is usually sent back with a food parcel which must always include a cake (nothing special, maybe a chocolate sponge or similar) why? because one of the girls he shares a house with had never had a homemade cake before - which I found very sad

Right on the money, Pierre!

Since there are no trained "Domestic Science" teachers anymore, one teacher interviewed this morning made precisely the same comments as yourself.

Perhaps the finest compliment paid by our son to his mother a few years ago was "Mum; I could only marry a girl who could cook as well as you!"

He is still searching................................. I fear it will be a long wait.

He also, almost alone amongst his 30 something peer group is the Chef!

Staying with us in France, he cooked a "Proper" curry for our French friends one evening: they loved it! One of their sons, incidentally, was seconded to an engineering company in the North of England last year for two months: and became somewhat bored living on hamburgers!

I will be using real cooking methods to teach my clients.

I do not use Micro-waves

We will include essential health and safety detail and how to create balanced meals;...texture, colour, flavour and nutrition...all important.

We will be offering all this at a competative price without compromise of ingredients.

I have a lovely enviroment for this and will enjoy almost every moment...even if the financial rewards are small.

My daughter last did cookery at school a couple of years ago.

They were told they were going to make a "family meal" then given a list of ingredients to bring in to create this masterpiece.   I got list which comprised of "a packet of x, a tin of y, a box of z and a jar of whatever................"   And this was purportedly "a wholesome family meal" according to the teacher, all slopped together in a bowl then chucked into the microwave to be nuked for 10 minutes.

Now exactly whose idea of a "wholesome family meal" was this because it certainly isn't mine? 

Its a great idea to bring back the old cookery classes where kids learn to make things from scratch, rather than open the box and slam it in the oven. And  my eldest sons are both excellent cooks, its just the washing-up you don't want to see!

[quote user="Gluestick"]Perhaps the finest compliment paid by our son to his mother a few years ago was "Mum; I could only marry a girl who could cook as well as you!"

He is still searching................................. I fear it will be a long wait.

He also, almost alone amongst his 30 something peer group is the Chef!

[/quote]

Am I the only one mentally writing The Secret Life of Son of Gluestick... [6][:-))]

Iconic apologies to Mme Tresco

Archived