Complete France Forum

Annoying Expressions!

Gluestick

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meeting the immobilier tomorrow.  At least, him being French, he won't say, "The property is comprised of a lounge......etc"

Hate it when they say "comprises of " and they invariably spell dining room "dinning room".

And what about "This property is very deceptive......." [6]

All that before they tell you it has been "lovingly restored".  Still, I suppose they aren't going to say "This is a botched up DIY job", are they?

Sweets has started me thinking about estate agents; and more of their nonsense.

"This charming property stands in its own grounds..............."

Who would buy it if it stood in someone else's??

"Built by Messrs Smith.................."

Someone needs to explain that the terms "Messrs" means more than one man!

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Gluestick"]

Estate agents also jump onto the bandwaggon of hyperbole. A really ugly blocks of flats, recently built locally on the site of an old garage, cheek by jowl with a Chinese owned fish and chip shop, a level crossing and a range of tatty shops enjoys a board outside describing the abortion as "This stunningly attractive development..............."

It isn't it: it looks like a cubic leggo kit clad with matchsticks!

[/quote]

Gluey

I do understand you were utterly incensed when you wrote the above and I'm sorry to pick you up on it but I couldn't let it pass . It gave me a huge belly laugh.

Surely you meant "abomination"?

Wait till Beijing and all the Brit commentators on the field and track events are talking about "afletics"...whatever those are!

[/quote]

Afle..ics if you don't mind Sweet, doncha know there aint no T in afle..ics.  Just wait until the presenters start talking about what sort of shape they are in and all the injuries they have overcome...glad I'm not an aflete. 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Alane"]I'm bored of this.[/quote]

Well, if you are bored with this, go find something else to do!

That's what the grown-ups used to tell us when we were children

[/quote]

I wondered if anyone would fall for it.

[quote user="Alane"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Alane"]I'm bored of this.[/quote]

Well, if you are bored with this, go find something else to do!

That's what the grown-ups used to tell us when we were children

[/quote]

I wondered if anyone would fall for it.

[/quote]

Tut Tut...[:D]

This is one I hear every other week from a neighbour while at my library club, " why keep a dog and bark your self" always followed by a childish giggle. As she yet again is putting her poor husband down. I want to stand up and slap her, she has to be the most lazy person I have ever met and spents the hour boasting , that she makes her husband do every thing around the house when he returns from a full days work.He even makes her lunch and puts it in the fridge before going to work in the morning , after walking the dogs which are then locked away until he returns to walk them again, as they annoy her while trying to watch day time telly. At the week ends he cleans the house and works in the garden, as well as having to take her into town to buy her some thing and take her out to lunch. Why she feels the need to tell us all this and think shes clever I will never know [:)] I dont know which to slap the hardest him or her.

My other hate is, on the phone :  " My name is sally, how can I help you to day?" 10mins later and she has done nothing to help me and I give up in fustration, , "Can I help you with any thing else today ? "  Grrrrrrrrrrr 

Archived