Complete France Forum

Annoying Expressions!

Gluestick

What expressions and phrases really annoy you?

Mine are those awful things media people use' because they have heard someone else use them!

And "Management Buzz Speak" which everyone copies to appear up to minute and clever: and don't actually think about what they are saying!

For example:

"Well, I mean..............." What DO you actually mean? DO you actually know?

And, its derivative: "I mean." Why not say what you actually intend then?

"You know........" If I know, what the hell do need to tell me for?

And then we move on to current ersatz management speak.

"Our plans, going forward............."

How could you plan going backwards? Unless you're a politician!

Quite obviously, plans tend to indicate the future!

Another media word beloved of politicians (John Major used to use it) is saying "Wunt" instead of "Want".

That awful 70s throwback, James May used it repetitively when he was travelling around wine regions with the pretentious male version of Jilly Gooden, Oz Clarke. "This wine has subtle overtones of peppermint liquorice and raspberry vanilla."

Personally, I'd take it back and have a good one from the Bordelais, instead!

Another current irritation for me, are people who say "Anythink" rather than "Anything". If one listens carefully, it's truy amazing how many do say this!

What are your bête noir expressions and words?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not just expressions.  There are words that make me cringe.

SLICES - as in slices of ham / quiche / whatever.   That word always conjures up Worzel Gummidge and his slices of cake.  Ugh [+o(]

And the current thing with youngsters of putting a K on the end of words

"Summink" "Anyfink" "Nuffink"

It drives me mad - or is it just me???

oh don't get me started on this topic.  I sometimes find myself raging at the television or radio.  A particular hate is when (generally younger) people are describing a conversation and seem unable to remember the verbs "to say", or "to reply".  I heard Lily Allen interviewed the other day and her conversation was as follows:

"So I was, like, what are you doing and he was, like, OK thanks what's up so I was, like, cool,  and he was, like: see you around and the DJ was, like, that's cool, etc. etc..... " and Mr. Nectarine had to restrain me from thumping the radio as I fumed at this semi-illiterate moron!

I also get mad when people don't say "would have" but use "would of" instead.  I've even seen that used in subtitles on BBC, presumably typed in by some grammatically-challenged media studies graduate!!

OOOooooh, I've worked myself up into a foaming-mouth frenzy.  Please excuse me while I leave to go lie down in a darkened room ...

The other totally abused word in the current lexiconography is "Stunning": as in "Stunningly Attractive".

Usually employed to describe a fairly grotesque female. I suppose it might, grudgingly be accurate in that one look and one instantly collapses in shock!

Estate agents also jump onto the bandwaggon of hyperbole. A really ugly blocks of flats, recently built locally on the site of an old garage, cheek by jowl with a Chinese owned fish and chip shop, a level crossing and a range of tatty shops enjoys a board outside describing the abortion as "This stunningly attractive development..............."

It isn't it: it looks like a cubic leggo kit clad with matchsticks!

I've got one that many, many people find deeply annoying but which I really like. I heard it, oohh, years ago but I understand that it has recently gained in popularity amongst the management classes.

I had a Texan for a boss once. When he came across something that really wasn't worth doing he would say:

"The juice ain't worth the squeeze..."

It sounded dead good when he said it with the right kind of drawl but utterly stupid with Home Counties received pronounciation.

Oh Gluey, I wish you hadn't started this.

You have forced me to "think outside the box" to come up with just a few, so I will run these "up the flag pole to see who salutes."

I've noticed that a lot of answers from people being asked questions on the box, invariably start off by saying "it's about."  The interviewer often begins the question with "now listen"...or just "listen"....were they not listening in the first place?

I'm gearing (no pun intended) myself up for the Grand Prix season to start in order for me to start yelling at the TV, it's SIXTH place not SICKTH!

This example I can only use in relation to soccer discussions where they say ie. "It's the managers like the AlexFerguson's, the Kevin Keegan's and the Wenger's of this world" and I want to say, there is only one each of them.

Well I've been thinking about this subject 24-7 and given it 110%.  I only wish I could write the examples of rising and falling intonation in speech that is so common nowadays because I could go on and on...and on.

But at least I feel much better now, time to go into my kitchen cupboards just to make sure all of my tins and packets are facing forward.

Have a look at Les Dawson turning Shirley Bassey into a gibbering mess.  It starts off slowly but I promise some of the gags will make you laugh and you know you need it after reading these posts.

Many thanks for that Weedon. Really made my day.

What a master of monologue and Northern wit Les Dawson was.

Irreplacable.

Back on topic.

Turning nouns into verbs: mainly media and particularly prevelant in sports reporting.

In golf, e.g. instead of saying " X scored 67" It's "X carded........."

Also when asked how a person played; " I played good!"

Strange; I thought they were in fact playing golf!

A personal pet hatred: double negatives. As in " We aint got none!"

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="Geordie girl"]When you ask, "would you like  tea or coffee" and they answer   " oh either i`m easy"..................[/quote]

My response to that one is "So I heard........now what would you like to drink".
[/quote]

I`ll remember that one benjamin  [:D]

Archived