Complete France Forum

Re: RED storm

Jacqui      Too

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Has it occurred to anyone else that this place (and most other fora) are rapidly becoming free education resources?

[/quote]

Yes, But they must think that we have nothing better to do than sit at the computer all day[:-))][:-))][:-))]

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Assuming of course that it isn't a huge wind-up.  Red is the lucky colour in China, nothing to do with the politics, always been that way, which is why many Chinese enterprises are decked out in red for the Chinese new Year.[/quote]

So why are the chinese guarding the flame dressed in blue ?

John

[quote user="Iceni"]

I might respond to this questionnaire if you would translate "color" and "flavor" into English.

John

[/quote]

Compare and contrast the likely history of the 20th Century if Benjamin Franklin had not reformed English spelling sufficiently then English was adopted as the language of the United States of America.

The 'u' in colour is a pseudo classical Victorien affectation which has nothing to do with English as written by either Shakespere or Chaucer.

I was always taught (by designers) that red meant 'come here but don't stay'.  Thus, fast food outlets, e.g. Wimpy, McDo, Burger King, use red in their decor in order to encourage people in but not to hang around.

I'm so sorry that I have posted this questionniare here.

'cause my paper is aimed at comparing two different cultures about red. But unfortuately, I can't find some guys from abroad who can help me answer my questionniare. Thus, I posted it here.

Actually, I felt quite upset and depressed. I didn't know whether it is all right  for me to do this... Meanwhile, I'm hurry, too... I'm afraid that whether I can proceed my paper smoothly...

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Assuming of course that it isn't a huge wind-up.  Red is the lucky colour in China, nothing to do with the politics, always been that way, which is why many Chinese enterprises are decked out in red for the Chinese new Year.[/quote]

That's the point / gap that I want to know. I hope that I can learn the reasons to create such a gap between two cultures. That's why I posted this questionnaire.

[quote user="Iceni"]

I might respond to this questionnaire if you would translate "color" and "flavor" into English.

John

[/quote]

Dear John~~~ well. I think everyone has his own opinion to 'color' and 'flavor' . I think, personally speaking, I love 'color'. Without it, painters can't draw beautiful pictures, if so, well, no VanGough, Da Vinci..'Color' is merely related to art, it connects to our life. Cloth, shoes, all in 'color'. Although we can't touch the 'color', we can feel and see in our eyes~~~

Blue~~ we feel depressed...   Orange~~~ we think of juice..     Red~~~ we may think happiness, but what about you> Do you think happiness, too? no, maybe you think of daner~

As for flavor, it is abstract, too. we can feel with mouths and hearts. Eating sweet, the flavor is sweet, not salty.   ~~ that's a feeling.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Has it occured to anyone else that this place (and most other fora) are rapidly becoming free education resources?

[/quote]

I think fora is one of the channels for us to learn more and get entertainment, right? Because I can't find someone from abroad to help me to anwser the questionniare. that's why I post it to here. so that I can make friends and learn more about other cultures!!! What a wonderful thing!!!

[quote user="Jacqui Too "][quote user="Gluestick"]

Has it occurred to anyone else that this place (and most other fora) are rapidly becoming free education resources?

[/quote]

Yes, But they must think that we have nothing better to do than sit at the computer all day[:-))][:-))][:-))]

[/quote]

I'm so sorry that my thread made u feel like that....  the questionnaire is not quite long.  if u hv time, you can just finish it at u spare time..for relaxation..[:)]

[quote user="Cathy"]

I was always taught (by designers) that red meant 'come here but don't stay'.  Thus, fast food outlets, e.g. Wimpy, McDo, Burger King, use red in their decor in order to encourage people in but not to hang around.

[/quote]

Dear Cathy,,,,, well, I quite like your words: 'come here but don't stay'. It is interesting to me, an outside stander from your culture.... I hope I can learn more...really~

As for the choice... I'm so sorry. Because I was in a hurry to post it. I didnit notice its unfit or unpoliteness. Thanks for your remind!!! I won't again~!

[quote user="Anton Redman"][quote user="Iceni"]

John

[/quote]

Compare and contrast the likely history of the 20th Century if Benjamin Franklin had not reformed English spelling sufficiently then English was adopted as the language of the United States of America.

The 'u' in colour is a pseudo classical Victorien affectation which has nothing to do with English as written by either Shakespere or Chaucer.

[/quote]

Damned American spellings sneak in everywhere. [6]

John

As an ex designer we used red with care as it is a symbol of agression - red ties - just look in parliament when there is a tight vote.

I did a lot of work and teaching regarding language and there are many early dictonaries - the most famous being by Samuel Johnson (started because the French were supposedly writing one!!!!!).

Going to a French rural funeral, one in London or one in the Far East and you will see that a lot of all this is down to tradition. If we met Shakespeare we would probably not be able to understand him, in the same way that the builders on site here would not be able to converse easily in Cahors (1 hour away). Our Cahor friends call us 'Veng' (wine) and 'Peng' (bread).

Sorry for any - many speeling mistooks but I cain't speel - I let John do that for me.

As a matter of tradition. The London East End Funerals with horses, glass carriages, and writing on the wreathes was looked down on when I was a poor wee waif. But then of course different things for different areas.

By the way advise used for advice is a new one as is anywho and 'My Bad :)'. Anywho is not new I was just lucky enough not to come across it until lately.

A red envelope to you all.

Di - not around a lot - don't blame me blame life :(

Archived