Complete France Forum

Dambusters

Russethouse

A couple of Spits are based at Filton, Bristol, I believe and certainly one was flying around yesterday for about 10 minutes, I wonder if it was a warm up for this. You could hear it right through the house and even better outside but not see it above the cloud, fantastic primeval sound! 

Guess I'll have to look at the movie tonight and that great music. They were great those guys who flew into the night with four Merlins, some very dodgy explosive technology and coat hangers to aim with.

Mine didn't quite make it past Abbeville on a hedgehopping run. Funny though, at 25 he was the old man of the crew, most being 18.

My second job after leaving school was with the Air Ministry Works Directorate, and I was based at St Vincents, a large house on the edge of Grantham. This had been the control centre for the Dam Busters raid. The operations room for raid was used as a drawing office. There is a moment in the film when the planes have all taken off and Wallis and the others leave for Grantham.

Eric Coates was asked to write the score for the film but refused, and Leighton Lucas took over. Coates, however, had recently written a march and offered it to the film company. Lucas used it extensively in his score.  Despite not having been written specifically for the film, the march fits the film like a silk glove.

We live near an RAF base and last Friday evening a Spitfire came over to give a display and looped the loop for about 10 minutes - what a wonderful sound. My wife and I stood watching spellbound for the entire free display. What a sound that engine made. I managed to get a few pictures, sadly only one was any good.

A couple of years ago I was standing outside the Brymon hangar at Bristol and heard that spine tingling sound - turned to look down the taxiway and there was a Spitfire going full bore 30ft above the taxiway, right past me.  just past the hangar she went near vertical and did a victory roll.

Fantastic sight, and sound.

Back in the 70s, a chum, who was also a car and engineering nut, was Engineering Officer of our local ATC unit.

On the provincial airport where they are still based, was a sort of aircraft scrapyard. Which had a few dozen Packard licence Merlins, brand new still in their original wooden crates.

My chum managed to scrounge one - for instructional purposes - on loan and he mounted it on wooden stretchers in the engineering instruction hutment, where he kindly gave me a guided tour. Most interesting to see the engine "bare" and thus able to look all around it and prod and poke.

Apparently, some time later (of course!) he started it and it gobbled ten gallons of aviation spirit in a very short time..................

A couple of years ago I read the autobiography of Sir Stanley Hooker, "Not Much of an Engineer".

A must read.

Just posted this on 2 other sites.

Great video of the Lancaster flypast to celebrate the 65th anniversary of the dambuster's mission.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7404554.stm

Film from inside the cockpit with superb views of my beloved Derbyshire countryside.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7405514.stm