Complete France Forum

Broken fridge freezer - a safety question

Kitty

My second-hand fridge freezer (upright cabinet type) has decided to pack up - well, one half has.  The top fridge still works but the bottom freezer has a red light on and is defrosting itself.

I don't need a freezer at the moment and would prefer to buy a replacement at the end of the tourist season when prices come down.  I do need a fridge and would like to keep it on.  I can't isolate the freezer from the fridge.

My question is:  Could the broken freezer section overheat and be a fire hazard?

If it is a two-compressor type, Cathy, i.e. one separate compressor for fridge and one for the freezer, you can normally switch off one or the other.

It would then be safe.

If it is a single pump unit and the fridge is still functioning quite normally, then it ought to be a fairly simple job to repair, as it's only a control fault.

Our's went earlier this year: we returned to the French house and when I opened the fridge, I was greeted with a stale smell: hen I opened the freezer, I was greeted with a v ery nasty smell!

Luckily, I was able to repair it next trip, as I bought the correct part in UK and took it over. All now seems to be fine.

Excepting the annoying loss of £70s worth of food.

[:@]

Thanks, Gluey.  Looked behind fridge/freezer and I'm no nearer to working out whether it's got one compressor or two.  I'll see if I can get it repaired.  Cheaper than buying a new one.  I'm not sure where to start - I'll look in Pages Jaunes.

I know I'm blond but I can't find the details.  It's an Indesit and it's a French model.  That much I do know.  There's no silver plaque inside or at the back with serial numbers on etc.

At the back, there are two black bomb-like-shape things (presuambly the compressors?) with yellow labels on & lots of numbers written on them. Would these be of interest?

The two bomb-like things are the compressors, Cathy.

For reference, somewhere inside, I believe there will be a nine digit number beginning with "9". This is normally the core product code.

However, since it is a two compressor unit, it is something wrong with the freezer compressor or controls.

A competent 'fridge engineer can tell you within a few minutes what is wrong.

Could be the thermostat (most common), or the motor starter relay (next most common) or if the controls are a bit more advanced the circuit board: if frost free might be the fan.

Worst case, an engineer can isolate the freezer so you can continue using the fridge with safety.

Thanks so much Gluey.  It's got to be the thermostat or the motor starter relay because there are no controls (as such) and no frost free fan.  I did defrost the freezer for the first time ever last week (previously going back to the UK, I would switch it off to defrost whilst away) and so perhaps I jogged something.  I was anxious to get it defrosted as quickly as possible and was using hot water, a hairdryer and any tool that I could get my hands on to dislodge the reluctant ice blocks.

I'll still hunt for the product code.

Anyone know the French for thermostat and for motor starter relay?

[quote]hot water, a hairdryer and any tool that I could get my hands on to dislodge the reluctant ice blocks.[/quote]

Apparently, the hardest job the domestic equipment designers have, is making stuff housewife proof!

You may well have snapped the thermostat tubing, or pulled wiring out.

Archived