Complete France Forum

Fool or Patriot?

Gluestick

The shock resignation of the Shadow Home Secretary, the Rt. Hon. David Davis, MP, has roiled the UK political scene perhaps even more than the troubled vote on longer detention without trial of those suspected of terrorist involvement.

Opinions have varied between commentators: most think Davis has behaved foolishly and has consigned his career in mainstream politics to the position of forgotten hero, whilst others firmly espouse their view that his action has injured both the Conservative and Unionist Party and in particular, David Cameron's reputation and credibility at a time when Cameron was riding high.

Is Davis a fool or a patriot?

Did you hear the interview on BBC radio news with Kelvin McKenzie (which doesn't seem to be reported in the press)?  Rupert Murdoch has agreed that if Labour do not put up a candidate, as is reported, Kelvin McK will stand, with Rupert M's backing.  Could be interesting...

If he feels strongly about it I think he is doing the right thing, however todays Mail carries an article today which says David Davis is not a 'team' player and perhaps a little more thought about his party would have been welcome. I have to say I'm one of the minority on this issue - IMHO we have enough legislation to deal with a longer time frame should it be needed, but I can't get very worked up about cameras or id cards which I believe he will also bring into the equation

Frankly as far as I am concerned if GB had principals he would call a General Election tomorrow, the 10p tax rule was one thing, now it seems likely he has bought his way out of another problem, at our expense.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Is Davis a fool or a patriot?

[/quote]

Probably neither but if I had to choose one, then definitely not the latter. Davis first and foremost thinks he is a great statesman whose opinion of his own significance far exceeds his real value (not unusual of course, this being the case with all politicians) and now sees the 42 days non-issue as an opportunity for publicity and self-aggrandisement.

The winner from all this being Brown. Cameron has been able to be rid of an enemy but is shown as being unable to keep his shadow cabinet in order (the Major syndrome). The losers are the mugs who pay for this farce as they pay for everything, Joe and Jolene Public.

John

[quote user="Cathy"]

Did you hear the interview on BBC radio news with Kelvin McKenzie (which doesn't seem to be reported in the press)?  Rupert Murdoch has agreed that if Labour do not put up a candidate, as is reported, Kelvin McK will stand, with Rupert M's backing.  Could be interesting...

[/quote]

I suppose it's far cheaper to fund your own tame MP, than paying lobbyists to promote your own selfish and narrow Special Interests.

Still, on the brighter side, no doubt McKenzie's success, in the doubtful chance he actually won, could be the first step to Murdoch dragging parliament down to his standard gutter level: who knows, topless female cheer leaders: endless debates over football; special interest debates over soap operas.

PM's question time would be enlivened................................

His constituency is quite close to where I live, so it's been VERY widely reported on local news, TV etc.

The majority of his constituents seem to think that he's an idiot who is just costing people money to make a point that will have ZERO effect on the government.

I have to agree with them.

RH: Gordon Brown and Nu Labia "BUY OFF" someone? Surely not?[:P]

Whilst the by-election that DD has precipitated will cost "some" money, I dont imagine that it will be a lot in the great scheme of things.

It does seem that he has got a "conscience" at a rather late stage, but whatever his motives, it is time for someone to take a stand about the erosion of liberty in Britain.

I suspect that his main aim / hope is that his 5116 majority when last elected will dramatically increase at the new by election thus indicating a public revulsion of the loss of various aspects of civil liberty. It may of course backfire. It should increase if the Crewe effect kicks in, a lot depends on his campaign and how persuasive he can be in the local area.

In terms of having ZERO effect on the Govt, someone has to start the revolution from somewhere. Great oaks from little acorns etc. Otherwise there will never be any change until 2009 (or is it 2010)  and by then............who knows?????

remember the rallying cry  ........."REMEMBER IRELAND"......

Archived