Complete France Forum

Why.......................

Gluestick

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just call him your 'filleul' - In the UK I've always refused to be godmother for the same reasons stated above! In France/Switzerland I'm 'marraine' to a few. the 2 children I consider to be  'filleul/filleule' in the UK, I jokingly call my 'earthlings'... as they quite like it, that's OK.

just want to add my two penn'orth to this.  I understand Gluestick's point - there have been a few message threads which, in my opinion, have deteriorated into pedantry and nit-picking which is totally unrelated to the original poster's question.  Isn't the whole point of the forum to be able to post a question and be able to draw on people's experience, advice and opinions without fear of being ridiculed or one's motives being questioned?  And if you reply to a question then it is for the original poster to decide if your reply suits their particular predicament - there will be plenty of replies and the original poster can pick and choose what suits them and their circumstances.  Unfortunately some have ended up as people criticising other people's responses to the forum.  Let's take an example - some while ago Jane56 put a question about an ex-friend who had helped her with some work and was claiming that she had employed him, which she said wasn't true.  I suggested that, as he was lying, she could claim he was an ex-lover who had now moved out.   Now I don't expect other people to agree but my response was my opinion of how she might handle this problem, and was as valid as all the other suggestions she had.  Some suggested conciliation and legal measures, and I suggested fighting fire with fire.  Different approaches, but as valid as each other in my book.  I got a bit of stick for that and that started a debate about honesty and whether I was wise to suggest lying and everything went off subject and got a little heated.  (I still don't know how that problem sorted itself out, we never heard any more).  But then people started to question Jane's motives.

I find this sort of nit picking tiresome.  I have used the forum to ask questions many times and received all sorts of responses, all of which are read and I take the advice that best suits my problem.  I'm certainly grateful to everyone who responds since every answer contains something that I find useful.  I certainly wouldn't criticise others who have taken the trouble to reply, however offbeat or wacky their responses. 

It's a shame if we are losing Gluey, but perhaps if the forum kept on track, and we stopped nitpicking on grammar, spelling and the wisdom of other people's responses, then valuable contributors like Gluestick would stay around.

Nectarine,  I remember that thread well and was of the same opinion as you if you remember.  However, Glueys grievence is different in that he WAS the OP on the tenants thread and it seems he has got the hump after a comment made about his toilet seat.

Dont get me wrong, I too consider Gluey to be one of the more colourful characters of the forum, but I am a little surprised that he can start a thread by commenting how tasteless three women are dressed for Ascot then when someone says more or less the same about his toilet seat he goes and gets all uppity over it.

A rule for one..........?

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Nectarine,  I remember that thread well and was of the same opinion as you if you remember.  However, Glueys grievence is different in that he WAS the OP on the tenants thread and it seems he has got the hump after a comment made about his toilet seat.[/quote]

Fair point, Katie! 

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Nectarine,  I remember that thread well and was of the same opinion as you if you remember.  However, Glueys grievence is different in that he WAS the OP on the tenants thread and it seems he has got the hump after a comment made about his toilet seat.[/quote]

Fair point, Katie!  

Archived