Complete France Forum

Who are you ?

Pads

There is an advert on the telly at the moment , where some bike rider says I am my sister who did this .... I am my neigbour who took the little wheels of my bike , I am my granfather who brought me my bike ........... Do you know the one I mean ?

Who would you say were the most influentual person/people in your life ?

Mine has to be a English litrature teacher I had in the 3rd year at high school..... Up to then I was always the last one in the spelling test, and where you put a full stop had and still has no meaning to me ...... due to the fact I had very little infant and junior school education.... and was mostly self taugh to read and write, so I almost gave up on English, until I met Miss Grigg my 3rd year English Lit teacher , this was the first time our classes had been seperated from another teacher who then became our english Lang teacher. I never got anywhere in the Lang class , but soon learnt that reading really had nothing to do with all that , she inspired me to read and read and read, and I have been (in my head ) to some of the best places in the world and felt my strongest emotions from books. I have a good imagination and she encouraged me to write and not worry about the spelling and grammer and I did ...... in my last year at school I won a country wide competition for one of my stories which gave me the courage to go out in the real life to try things, dosnt matter if your not doing it 100% right .... you can still achieve your goal ....     

Pads, this is an interesting thread and I hope more people respond to it!!  For my part, apart from my parents' influence (of course not appreciated until long after they died), I would say that a lasting influence was a primary school teacher.  Mr. Boatright, who taught me at the age of 9 that you should always try your best, always speak the truth, do the honourable thing and be proud of your country.  That England has never been beaten on the waves (his expression) and that we had an Empire, and still have the capacity to have an Empire, if only people would be proud of themselves.  And that however much you moan about your life, your parents have always tried to give you a better childhood than they ever had.

Oh gosh, this sounds so old-fashioned and I confess that he had these little sermon moments while he was supposed to be teaching us history or geography.  I would often daydream or carve my name into my desk and wouldn't really take it in.  He told us about the sacrifices that were made in the two world wars (I yawned my way through this), and that we should never forget the glorious sacrifice (thud as my sleeping head hit the desk!).  And finally, he said that all he had told us would be ignored or forgotten about until we at last reached his age (which as I recall, as a 9 year old, was positively ancient!).

So here I am, probably nearing his age, and suddenly all he said makes perfect sense.  Truth, effort, honour ... they aren't just words.  Holding your head up high because you have done the decent thing is actually something to be proud of (might not pay the bills, but that's a different story).  Our Empire, well it has a dubious provenance and might be politically incorrect but it inspired loyalty which carried us through the wars, to fight for what we believed was right.

I realise he was right, and that he has been a silent influence in my life but his voice is being heard more and more as I become older and wiser.  I just wish I had thought, all those years ago, to thank him for his wisdom.  He's long dead now, must be, but it has to be said: "Thank you Mr. Boatright".

I look forward to reading more replies.  And thanks again, Pads, for starting this thread ..

[quote user="Pads"]

. I have a good imagination and she encouraged me to write and not worry about the spelling and grammer and I did ...... in my last year at school I won a country wide competition for one of my stories which gave me the courage to go out in the real life to try things, dosnt matter if your not doing it 100% right .... you can still achieve your goal ....     

[/quote]

Pads

I cmpletely agree with you, I always enjoy your posts and opinions, spelling and grammar n'importe but unfortunately the progressive teaching attitude of your mentor had gone to an extreme when I were (sic) educated.

My inspiration was my tutor Roger Davies, I would love to know what became of him, the last I heard many years ago he was a head teacher, he would be retiring about now but I reckon that I may have beaten him to it albeit without any, let alone index linked pension.

What a thought provoking thread.  Thinking about who influenced my life has brought back memories of people and events that I had completely forgotten about.

As a child I was very shy and self conscious, and absolutely hated having my school photo taken.  I never smiled in school photos as I had goofy teeth and thought myself a right ugly duckling. Then one day, when Mrs Owen was handing out the photos from her desk, she saved mine until the last, and said something along the lines of "and whose is this last photo, what a pretty little girl". After that (although my teeth weren't straightened by a brace until several years later) I decided it was OK to smile.

Another teacher, Mr Ross, often used to lose the thread whilst teaching us maths, and wander off into fantastic tales of his time spent travelling and the marvellous things he had seen and experienced.  He was a master story teller, and would keep us so enthralled that we would often linger in the classroom long after the bell had rung.  I never forgot his stories, and it was partly due to him that, years later, I packed my own bag and set off to see the world for myself.  It changed my life completely.

My uncle Peter, who, knowing how strict our my father was, allowed my brother and me to run wild, be noisy, and generally act like children.  And my father, who insisted that we ate everything we were given and were not to leave the table until our plates were empty.  I now realise that it is because of him that I will eat anything and everything and am not in the least bit fussy about food.

My drama teacher, Mr Hadwin, who helped me to overcome my shyness and encouraged me to consider going to drama school. 

My two friends who died of leukaemia whilst they (and I) were only in their teens, with so much life before them, and so many things not done.

And my horrible baby brother, who was a terribly naughty little boy, a failure at school and the black sheep of the family, who led me into all kinds of trouble but who grew up to be hugely respected and successful.  He's still a naughty little boy at heart though.

And, by the most bizarre of coincidences, our very own "real live virtual French person" Clair, who I met just once, long before either of us were mods, and who was partly responsible for my decision to move to France.

[quote user="Cat"]And, by the most bizarre of coincidences, our very own "real live virtual French person" Clair, who I met just once, long before either of us were mods, and who was partly responsible for my decision to move to France.[/quote]

Synchronicity! [:D]

(PS: don't blame me if it goes to pot in a few years time![:P])

Looking back, I can see that my decisions were mostly influenced by people I did not want to be like, rather than by people who gave me encouragement.

Does that make sense?

[quote user="Clair"]

Looking back, I can see that my decisions were mostly influenced by people I did not want to be like, rather than by people who gave me encouragement.

Does that make sense?

[/quote]

It makes perfect sense - and I did type something similar last night... and then my browser crashed and I lost it.

I can think of lots of people who have, in small ways, influenced me in good ways over the years but the biggest positive influences on my life have been people whose actions or attitudes I have analysed and found wanting. That dislike of who or what they were has influenced me to try and avoid being like them... and to be someone better - I hope. [:P]

I've found great support in certain parts of my life from bosses who have supported the staff at the expense of their own advancement, meanwhile giving of their many years life/job/management experience.  A pattern I tried to follow once I did get into a managerial position.

• 2 weeks later...

My music teacher Mrs. Price who made me soloist in the school choir when I started comprehenive school.  She gave me so much confidence in myself and would praise me infront of the whole class and really made me feel special.  I was the eldest of of 4 girls and helped my mother at home when she got divorced.  I was so busy with my little sisters there was never time for me to do much for myself.  The choir and the concerts we performed was a pedestal for me and somewhere I could express myself and feel so much warmth and respect from the people listening to me sing.  She really believed in me.

My grandmother who was the person who spoke about me to Mrs Price in the first place.

My daughter for her courage.

My youngest sister who has raised her daughter single handed and sings out of tune with the greatest of passion[:)]

My mother who always made sure we had a proper summer holiday whatever.

Margaret Thatcher, who created the economic conditions for me to set up and run a successful business and who showed that women can get right to the very top.

Years later, I was able to meet her and, despite being relatively short, she exudes power.

Archived