Complete France Forum

Property Care Taker

We are currently looking for a home in France and we would not be living there all year round so we would need to have someone look after the house.

How do you go about finding somoene to watch the house?

Do you post an add in the town or newspaper or is there possibly a website?

What have you guys done?

Thanks

Matt

If you can spend a little time there and get to know people / neighbours in the village, this can work well.

Some people pay an agency to look after their property, especially if they are letting it out as holiday accommodation and need someone to do changeovers.

You'll probably be spending some time looking around at houses with different agents, so ask them, and go into local bars and see who you meet.

You are after someone reliable, experienced in this field, French speaking, resident all year round and registered to work in France.

Most of our clients come to us through recommendations from our bank, estate agents, the tourist office and artisans. Local people who know caretaking is our business also often tell their new second-home neighbours about us.

Yes that is exactly what I would love to do. I think I would find a more trustworthy person if I meet them in person.  I would only need someone to keep and eye on the place to make sure it does not burn down or anything :-p   Oh and possibly send me my mail from time to time:-p

Mattvi198, I wish I was as optimistic that the house burning down was the biggest worry. Household breakins are a big problem in France and the numbers are escalating, with second homes often targeted by professional gangs.

In the UK by contrast this is one area of crime that has reduced substantively in the last couple of years.

Ha ha, I guess this will take a little getting use to,  I grew up and still live in a small town in Canada.  My doors are never locked never have been and when something goes wrong a friend or neigbour usually just walks right in and fixes it or calls me at work.  Although I think I have a fridge thief!  All my yummy leftovers seem to disappear,  I have yet to find out who it is :-p

Archived