Complete France Forum

Hero or not

AnOther

The pilot no doubt did his job brilliantly, as did it seems all those around him. So congratulations for that.

Whether he did it better because he was saving all those passengers than if he had been flying the thing alone, we will never know. I somehow doubt though that, had he been the only occupant he would have thought "What the Hell" and let it drop, nose-first into whatever hard object was in the way first. There must be a big element of self-preservation in these things.

But had I been a passenger, I sure would want to shake his hand.

[quote user="ErnieY"]The difference with all of those scenarios is that nobody had any choice which surely is the determinator between doing what's to be reasonably expected of you given your position and training and actively putting yourself in a situation.

The problem of course is that the word 'hero' has passed into popular parlance to describe just about anyone who does something out of the ordinary and is devalued for it.

[/quote]

Same as "celebrity"

Blame the Tabloids

Thanks for the link whoever posted it.

I chatted about it with some of the guys from Airbus opposite me this afternoon, the word is that the pilot was very skillfull in his atterisage as the moment that the engines hit the water the reaction would have tried to thrust the nose (made opposite me!) under the water like a duck diving.

They told me that it remained watertight and was towed away later. I dont think that any commercial airliner has ever survived a water ditching before without sinking.

I can see now here Ernie was coming from regarding the modern use of hero.

I can access Sky news on my free.fr television service so I watched that to see the reports, later on in the programe the word hero was used again, "80's pop hero" to describe Boy George [:-))]

No wonder the pilot didnt want to talk to the media.

Archived