Complete France Forum

A labour of love. (for petrolheads)

Bugsy

You're busy today bugsy! not my colour, when I had a new one I thought it was just incredible to use everyday on the road, however a year later having discovered how popular they were with the dark side, (stolen three times despite every immobiliser know to man) I was relieved when the last lot of blaggers hit a milk float whilst trying to outrun the police and wrote it off, the Scorpio I had afterwards was nowhere near as exciting. [8-|]

Whilst I admire his dedication in building up such a near-perfect example, I cant help but wonder as to his motivation?

Will it spent its life in his carpeted garage, being taken to Ford shows on a trailer? maybe occasionally being driven on a dry summers day, then tucked back in the garage for a week while he polishes the floorpan back up to that shine?

If it were an astonishingly rare car with only a few examples left in the world, I could understand that treatment, but for a relatively common car, it seems pointless to me. Horses for Courses obviously, but in my opinion, cars should be driven as they were designed to, not pampered. Every marque has its enthusiasts and some who take things much further than others, but the Ford scene seems to attract more than its fair share of "trailer queens".

If anyone is interested, I can post a link to my current project,  a bare shell rebuild of an Austin Mini van. Its "rough as a welders bench" compared to that cosworth though! But it will be used as a daily van as it was originally intended.

[quote user="dave21478"]

Whilst I admire his dedication in building up such a near-perfect example, I cant help but wonder as to his motivation?

[/quote]

I would guess, its just a project, in much the same as your van. Its not so much in what you do with it in the end, as the pleasure you get in actually doing it.

I spent 15 months of my life building this from scratch and enjoyed every minute.

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/645.jpg[/IMG]

It was my first chro-moly full-tube chassis and a large learning curve.

Just Boys and their Toys.......................

Preparation and starting point is everything, whether slightly used 70,000ml example or rusty old shell it can be made easier with appropriate techniques, which can also inject some longevity to examples that may not have received such treatment in original manufacturer, finishing is equally important though and too much bling and non original bits can spoil the final effect; see surfaceprocessing.co.uk examples. (See the healey chassis, 2 different cars by the way anybody spot the difference? [8-|]

[quote user="Bugbear"]Yes of course JR, you can clearly see 70,000 miles worth of dirt and wear on the underside...[:(]

That is a full bare-metal restoration and has been expertly done.

Its in the detail, if you'd bother to look.
[/quote]

Thats a bit harsh BB, and no I wont bother to look again to see how someone has taken a used car in very good condition back to its delivery condition with some go faster add ons, it just doesnt rock my boat. I could and would though spend all day admiring the engineering of your VW rail , thats what I appreciate, you created something unique, and hopefully better than the competition from scratch, that is worthy of admiration as is someone that restores a rusty wreck in difficult conditions with non availabilty of parts and panels having to make do using artisan skills like Dave and his minivan, although I know he wishes that he were doing it in the UK.

Removing 70,000 miles of dirt from a floorpan is obsession not workmanship although I agree that it has to be seen to be believed

Like Dave I just dont get the motivation to recreate the factory finish on a common car and was surprised that you posted it, still chacun à son gout.

Dave, I would like to see the pics please.

Editted.

I did go back as I was intrigued by the references to the floorpan, BB you were right, I wasnt bothered and had mercifully only seen the first few photos, now I will have nightmares, I cant believe that I was being unfair to bonnet polishers [:D]

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

Thats a bit harsh BB,

I did go back as I was intrigued by the references to the floorpan, BB you were right, I wasnt bothered and had mercifully only seen the first few photos, now I will have nightmares, I cant believe that I was being unfair to bonnet polishers [:D]

[/quote]

Sorry JR, didn't intend to sound harsh............[:D]

As regards that Sierra, I would guess that the body has been sand or beadblasted and probably all the suspension and other bits too.

I agree with you (and I said in my original post) the vehicle itself doesn't rock my boat..................but the work thats gone into it, certainly does.

The rail, by the way, ran a best time of 7.02 seconds at 183 mph.

As regards that Sierra, I would guess that the body has been sand or beadblasted and probably all the suspension and other bits too.

Can't say I do it that way anymore, apart from the mess it creates other problems, distortion, finish, filling cavities with sand and leaving corrosion in hidden areas, ad infinitum, see surfaceprocessing.co.uk examples, this takes objects back to original materials from body to alloy wheels, all cavities treated against corrosion and etched ready for rust treatment and paint etc, ease and quality of treatment is worth it (no connection by the way) [8-|]

[quote user="just john "]

, see surfaceprocessing.co.uk examples, this takes objects back to original materials from body to alloy wheels, all cavities treated against corrosion and etched ready for rust treatment and paint etc, ease and quality of treatment is worth it (no connection by the way) [8-|]

[/quote]

Well, you've mentioned them twice now so what are we all to think. [Www]

If you look at the photo of my rail you will see (on the front) the name of one of my main sponsors at the time, Mmm, I wonder what they do...........[:D][:D]

ps. Sand is only used for heavy work, glass beads, aluminium granules or even walnut shells are used on fine stuff.

BB, love your work, did it all go to plan? Would like to see more......

I agree with JR just a case of O.C.D. although he had a lot of nasty mud in the tyre treads....dirty [;-)]

He should get a cover on the cam belt though, otherwise he be boring us rigid with pictures of his broken and now re-built engine. [Www]

Dave, rebuilt so many minis and vans during my rally days go on post a pic or two.

Well what I think is, Jees, the time I wasted trying to prepare chassis by dirty hard work and how much better the results of chemical dipping! I did look at Mr Ballards info first time[Www] and thought he was just paint and finishing as opposed to stripping so thought the info might be beneficial to someone, honest.
Incidently the rail looks neat, a visit to Santa Pod many moons ago was dramatic and exciting but not for me, never had the budget for one thing, one mans meat and all that though, I lapped Mira (as a passenger) at 180mph in a development Twin Turbo Vantage, the most sensation was taking the banking at 125 (in or order to hit 180 on the straight, head thrust between the shoulder blades!. What do you do en France anything to spectate? I do Angouleme and Pau, again some spectacularly finished machinery mostly full out. For a combination of drama and cornering I used to admire this series.

[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/classic69_72/brutcamaro.jpg[/IMG]

JJ

Actually 125mph or thereabouts as I cant remember the exact figure is the most calm and comfortable speed on the banking, the car will track the exact radius of the corner, the centrifugal force making it like sitting in the car on a level car park.

The instructors love taking their hands off the wheel at the critical speed to see the reactions of the passengers who are fixated by the speedometer reading.

I have a build thread on another forum that  have been keeping up to date....

http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=42634

Its far from finished yet, I am about to start dressing the welds so far, then begin surface preparation for painting. Its no show-winner, thats for sure, but thats not why Im building it. My intention is to build something solid and useable that will also be used as a promotional tool for the business. I am also curious to see exactly how cheaply I can do this build - hence the extensive re-use of used parts. Its not unusual for these restorations to run to five figures....Im still in three figures, but only just! - including buying both vehicles.

Oh, there are a few points where I go off on a moan about parts availability and prices, but you have all heard them already, so feel free to skip over those parts!

I have the next project lined up already - a barn-find peugeot 203 break. It will have to wait for a while, as I intend t rebuild the shell onto modern running gear...probably E30 bmw 3-series mechanicals.. Not really feasable to get it road legal here in France, so I will be builing it to UK spec, (it will have to pass SVA) and I will be keeping it in UK once done. Before even starting though, I will be heading ack to UK with a van to buy up everything I might possibly need for it.

Archived