Complete France Forum

Re: Anyone for a feather duvet?

Dog

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Can you get this one Dog on the same subject?  Don't buy fur, don't by down either then.  Thanks for that Puzzled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llZwycEYjR8

[/quote]

No but I found this: http://www.upc-online.org/livepluc.html

I thought eider was originally the very fine feathers used to line the nest and was taken from the nests after the birds departed. But never fear man will always a find way to push nature to the very distasteful limits.

I don't want any of it - even using feathers from dead birds is supporting the meat industry.

OMG! I never knew or thought about this. I will not be sleeping on my down pillow tonight! It is so sad that as consumers we now must question everything!

I guess if any of the product we buy derives from some poor animal, it is easy to assume that there is a possibility that someone somewhere may have treated it cruelly and inflicted pain and thought of it like a product instead of a living breathing creature.[:(]

[quote user="Puzzled"]I'm not a vegetarian but I wouldn't want bird killed just for their feathers.[/quote]

I don't want to rattle anyones cage but although plucked alive the above statement is completely wrong. Those birds were not killed for their feathers as you could clearly see them walking away afterwards.

I dont agree with animal cruelty either and although they did not look happy about it birds routinely pull out their feathers.  Lambs make more fuss when they a shorn.

I thought as Powerdiesel did that the down was harvested after they had been killed for food.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="teapot"]

Sorry steve, I shouldn't joke about alzheimer's

[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

But it is my profession and I would hate anyone to get the wrong impression.
[/quote]

Working in UAE you could be either petro chemical or desalination [:P]

[quote user="Puzzled"]I know they were still alive when the feathers are pulled out , I thought it was horrible which was why I started the topic.[/quote]

No problem Puzzled, I certainly did not know before you posted it. I don't know how much suffering there is as birds pull out their own feathers but it did shock me to start with, good to see they were still ok afterwards.

If, and its a big "if" there is not any significant suffering involved the surely it is better to harvest the feathers several times before the animal is killed?

They looked pretty pi55ed off to me rather than in pain, so would I be if someone nicked my new coat.

Having removed the feathers from a turkey (which I won in an Xmas eve raffle) which was next to impossible until the bird was dunked in boiling water, I reckon they were just removing that which would have moulted in time rather than pulling out the whole feather including the quill which would not allow further harvesting.

I haven't looked at the video. But perhaps a duck can't show an expression in this case of pain that we can recognise. I recall being told as a child when I was trying to catch a peacock to take a feather that it is painful and is similar to taking a fingernail from a person. They have roots deep in the flesh.

I had absolutely no idea - and despite being disturbed and upset  by the information, am grateful for having been made aware, and will make sure I will pass on + ask questions in shops. Writing to The White company tomorrow.

Shops selling badger shaving brushes have instructions to tell that 'badger hair is humanely harvested from live badgers farmed in China'. Do you believe that???

Archived