Complete France Forum

Men and Chocolate

cooperlola

Would a box of chocolates be an acceptable "little present" (nothing flashy) for a bunch of chaps?  I want to give the porters here something as they are so helpful and kind and cannot give my usual thing which is a few bottles of beer as alcohol isn't allowed.  I never think of guys as being as addicted to chocolate as some women I know but am I just being sexist?

In the UK of course it would be a mega tin of teatime assortment biscuits[:)] but I've never noticed a similar equivalent avec cafe time, though have noticed touristy gifty tins of biccys; what a great feeling it must be for you to be getting a parting gift for the chaps. Well done you.[8-|]

I asked my sister what biscuits to get as a thank you gesture for the staff who had looked after me when I was hospitalised a couple of years ago.

She told me to make sure I bought a posh brand and not a cheap tin!

I think it's a great idea.  How about a big tin of Quality Street or Roses if someone is coming back from UK soon?

The biscuit idea is good too.  On a much smaller scale, I bring back a couple of boxes of Cadburys fingers when I go to the UK.  I bring them into work and who scoffs them all?  My French male colleagues, it's like a plague of locusts so I think your Porters would really appreciate something like that.

The most addictive chocolate based sweet ever (Be warned!), are the French Aldi Chocolate Toffees..................

Men love 'em as well as ladies.

Mrs G buys two packets for her colleagues: if she returned from la belle without any now, there would in all probability be a riot!

The guys scoff 'em at vast rate.

Buy a simple cane basket; and fill it up with these: they will love you forever.

Promise.

Well, I went ahead and gave them choccies in the end and got a few smacking bisous and big smiles in return.  So they acted pleased very well, even if they weren't really...  Mind you, they guy in charge there is called Nicholas Smith (I kid you not) so he's not proper French, is he?[Www]

Back in 1991, when I had come out of hospital after a rather unpleasant life-threating experience, I put my thinking cap on: went to my local baker and arranged for him to make me a huge square fruit cake; which I then trotted up to the hospital ward concerned and presented to the staff with the simple command, "Enjoy"!

Which they apparently did!

We are all so quick to complain: it is very important, to me to say "Thank You" in some tangible way.

They will never forget you, JE.

For lot's of reasons I'm sure![:P]

[:D]

As l'Arche is far from an ordinary hospital, there is a lovely tradition whereby long-termers hold a parting "goûter party", if you will, for the inmates who are left behind.  As you might gather, I had very little time to sort everything out so a trip to the local Auchan to pick a few things up was all I could do in the time.  I found some Shortbread amongst their biscuits and bought some as a gesture to my British (if only a very small percentage Scots) roots.  It was this that everybody really loved and was something few of them had had before.  It's often the little things which work best, isn't it?

I agree, Gluey, these people work their chaussettes off for often very little thanks.  The odd box of chocs ain't much but it does seem to be genuinely appreciated.

Archived