Complete France Forum

Video cassettes

woolybanana

[quote user="woolybanana"]

What did you do with your video cassettes once DVDs came along? I have a couple of boxes full of English language ones, films in the main which are taking space. Has anyone kept them to make DVDs in case the discs wear out?

[/quote]

Does this mean that you have bought all these films for a second time on DVD format WB?

I often wondered who these minted folk were that replaced vynyl with CD and K7 with DVD.

I often wondered who these minted folk were that replaced vynyl with CD and K7 with DVD.

Sorry, slightly off topic - but is K7 what I would call a tape cassette - as I've seen references to it in relation to audio here in France and I don't know what it is.  Thanks.

We have a collection of bought Videos and even had something to play them on until some scrote robbed us last year [:'(]

Slag me if you like but my sentiment is that if I've bought and paid for the genuine product then there is nothing wrong with me downloading it from the Internet and I have no qualms about doing so for those titles I wish to have in digital format.

[quote user="AnOther"]

Slag me if you like but my sentiment is that if I've bought and paid for the genuine product then there is nothing wrong with me downloading it from the Internet and I have no qualms about doing so for those titles I wish to have in digital format.

[/quote]

I agree [:)] - All those LPs in the loft now happily in digital format without me doing the pain of conversion (and buying a record deck to do it!)

(I don't have any video tapes, as I haven't had a TV for some time now - where's that smug smiley when you need it?)

[quote user="Judith"]I often wondered who these minted folk were that replaced vynyl with CD and K7 with DVD.

Sorry, slightly off topic - but is K7 what I would call a tape cassette - as I've seen references to it in relation to audio here in France and I don't know what it is.  Thanks.
[/quote]

Yes Judith it is. My head is so full of French terms for things that I did not realise that I hadnt written cassette or VCR tape.

I remember seeing a sign saying K7 above a box of videos at a rederie when I first arrived here and I thought "what a strange name" until I pronounced "K sept" phonetically [:D].

BTW I have never seen or heard them called that in England

I dont know as I havnt seen it written for an audio cassette, I am sure that they are spoken of as "Ka setts" so I would use the same abbreviation, however normally despite my best efforts I am rarely understood.

I recently had an emplacemnt at a redérie and put up photos (with prices) showing the items that were too large to take just as all the other stallholders did but I neglected to write "à vendre", loads of people came up and asked me what it was all about, perhaps they thought that I was going to pay them to take the items off my hands.

[quote user="AnOther"]Competely new term on me.

Would it be a product of the once fanatical xenophobia the French had for protecting the language from bastardisation I wonder ?

[/quote]

Its new to me too but its just some word play really.

As JR says, phonetically (in French) K = KA and 7 = sett, hence KASETT - see where this is going

like the campaign for kids to start to brush their teeth when they start to lose their milk teeth. It took me a while to get it. Poster and toothpaste emblazoned with M'T dents, as in French (pronunciation) aime tes dents (love your teeth)

Danny

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

[quote user="AnOther"][/quote]

Its new to me too but its just some word play really.

As JR says, phonetically (in French) K = KA and 7 = sett, hence KASETT - see where this is going

like the campaign for kids to start to brush their teeth when they start to lose their milk teeth. It took me a while to get it. Poster and toothpaste emblazoned with M'T dents, as in French (pronunciation) aime tes dents (love your teeth)

Danny

I[/quote]

In 3 postings I have failed to properly explain that [:'(]

Archived