Complete France Forum

Honda F1 reincarnated as Brawn GP

just john

[quote user="Dog"]

You haven't answered how the Mercedes engine will fit straight into the Honda chassis.

[/quote]

This aspect clearly  cannot  have been a show stopper as the new Brawn team were in serious negotiation with Ferrari to take their engines. I must therefore presume that the ability to  fit different engines into their chassis can't have been a major problem...... unless, of course, the Ferrari engine is a product of Mercedes/Ilmor?

[quote user="Dog"]

I note the careful use of built not made.

They may well have assembled the engines.

You haven't answered how the Mercedes engine will fit straight into the Honda chassis.

[/quote]

The Honda engine components were manufactured at Tochegi.

The Mercedes engine already fits into the Honda chassis. It ran at Silverstone on Friday. It fits because the chassis has been modified over the last two months to accept it.

[quote user="Cjlaws"][quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

The Mercedes engine  already fits into the Honda chassis. It ran at Silverstone on Friday. It fits because the chassis has been modified over the last two months to accept it.
[/quote]

Yes, with a little bit of BRAWN and bit of brain it should not have been that hard, (pun intended) [Www]

At the end of day 1:

Barcelona F1 test times, day 1 – 9 March

1. Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1min 20.338secs 96 laps

2. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1min 20.908secs 81 laps

3. Jarno Trulli Toyota 1min 20.937secs 121 laps

4. Jenson Button Brawn GP-Mercedes 1min 21.140secs 82 laps

5. Nelson Piquet Renault 1min 21.662secs 126 laps

6. Sebastien Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1min 22.158secs 86 laps

7. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1min 22.246secs 117 laps

8. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1min 22.452secs 129 laps

9. Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 1min 22.813secs 111 laps

10. Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1min 22.948secs 90 laps

Times won't mean much until they get to Australia.

[quote user="Cjlaws"]At the end of day 1:

2. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1min 20.908secs 81 laps
3. Jarno Trulli Toyota 1min 20.937secs 121 laps
4. Jenson Button Brawn GP-Mercedes 1min 21.140secs 82 laps
5. Nelson Piquet Renault 1min 21.662secs 126 laps
6. Sebastien Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1min 22.158secs 86 laps
7. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1min 22.246secs 117 laps
8. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1min 22.452secs 129 laps
9. Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 1min 22.813secs 111 laps
10. Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1min 22.948secs 90 laps

[/quote]

Teapot added:

11. Bugbear volkswagon razer  8.2345secs standing quater

When I posted, Jensen's leading performance in the BGP was the talk of the pit, perhaps he got tired towards the end of the session having not been in an F1 car since Nov[:)];
All of which augers well for some variety in the racing this season and kinda of puts Brawn / Button Heros and Honda & engine zeros; lets hope the merc keeps going[8-|].

Edit; Can't wait to see (most )of these guys in action BBC 1 TEAM

"When I posted, Jensen's leading performance in the BGP was the talk of the pit, perhaps he got tired towards the end of the session having not been in an F1 car since Nov"; [:D]

And a bit of a shock as he had not been in a competitive car for several seasons, bet he's getting down to the gym a lot more.

As you say, all bodes well for the new season.

[quote user="Cjlaws"]At the end of day 1:

Times won't mean much until they get to Australia.

[/quote]Sadly, you are correct.  I would love to see Nick win a GP this year. 

[quote user="Cjlaws"]

Most of the design

and development work of the Formula One engine was done at Honda's R&D

centre in Tochigi, Japan.

In 2008 about half Honda’s F1 engines were built in Tochigi

and half at Honda Racing Development Ltd, The Bullbrook Building, Brants

Bridge, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 9BQ. The Technical Director of HRD was

Hiroshi Abe, and Ray Dawson was head of Technical Manufacturing.

Each engine-build at HRD was carried out by a two-man team

of one local employee and one Japanese technician on four-month secondment and

took five days.

The 2009 Mercedes engine is the same as the 2008

version, for the simple reason that it has to be under Appendix 6 of the FIA

Formula One Sporting Regulations. It cannot be substituted for the 2008 Honda

engine. To quote Ross Brawn “our car was designed around a different engine and

both the chassis and gearbox have been modified to accommodate the new engine”.

Sorry about the code at the top of this post, which is a result of pasting from MS Word.

[/quote]

And

[/quote]

The

Mercedes engine already fits into the Honda chassis. It ran at

Silverstone on Friday. It fits because the chassis has been modified

over the last two months to accept it.

[/quote]

Dog. Cjlaws posted the above regarding this Honda/Mercedes engine debate. Do you accept this now or do you still maintain the Honda engines were Mercedes all along as told you by your personal contacts?

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="Cjlaws"]

Most of the design and development work of the Formula One engine was done at Honda's R&D centre in Tochigi, Japan.

In 2008 about half Honda’s F1 engines were built in Tochigi and half at Honda Racing Development Ltd, The Bullbrook Building, Brants Bridge, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 9BQ. The Technical Director of HRD was Hiroshi Abe, and Ray Dawson was head of Technical Manufacturing.

Each engine-build at HRD was carried out by a two-man team of one local employee and one Japanese technician on four-month secondment and took five days.

The 2009 Mercedes engine is the same as the 2008 version, for the simple reason that it has to be under Appendix 6 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations. It cannot be substituted for the 2008 Honda engine. To quote Ross Brawn “our car was designed around a different engine and both the chassis and gearbox have been modified to accommodate the new engine”.

Sorry about the code at the top of this post, which is a result of pasting from MS Word.

[/quote]

And

[/quote]

The Mercedes engine already fits into the Honda chassis. It ran at Silverstone on Friday. It fits because the chassis has been modified over the last two months to accept it.
[/quote]

Dog. Cjlaws posted the above regarding this Honda/Mercedes engine debate. Do you accept this now or do you still maintain the Honda engines were Mercedes all along as told you by your personal contacts?
[/quote]

I haven't checked with my sources as to the latest news - but I still think its strange that they altered the chassis at such short notice to accept a different engine - this is most unlikely as the chassis is designed around the engine and it makes a huge difference if they are not designed/matched together.

When opportunity arises I will phone UK and find out exactly what is happening.

Plus if the new rule changes come in which manufacturer could build all the engines?

Sorry didn't reply earlier I have been locked out for a week for being a naughty boy.

Dog said:

"but I still think its strange that they altered the chassis at such short notice to accept a different engine - this is most unlikely as the chassis is designed around the engine and it makes a huge difference if they are not designed/matched together".

Two months a huge budget and some of the best engineers and facilities in the world, No problem.

[quote user="Dog"] 

I haven't checked with my sources as to the latest news - but I still think its strange that they altered the chassis at such short notice to accept a different engine - this is most unlikely as the chassis is designed around the engine and it makes a huge difference if they are not designed/matched together.

When opportunity arises I will phone UK and find out exactly what is happening.

Plus if the new rule changes come in which manufacturer could build all the engines?

Sorry didn't reply earlier I have been locked out for a week for being a naughty boy.

[/quote]

Re: the engine/chassis fit. As I said earlier though.... they were negotiating with Ferrari to take their engines so this can't have been an insurmountable problem.

As to going to a single engine source, I understand that Ilmors name has been in the frame for that if it was ever to come about.

• 6 months later...

Archived