Complete France Forum

Am I mean?

Mr Coeur de Lion

Hope they don't throw eggs at your house, Richard. We were away one year, and found eggs down the front of our house on our return; it had hardened, and didn't come off the bricks properly. It eventually faded. It's only ever happened once, but I felt like getting the hosepipe out ready the next year, just in case!

GG

You sound like you might be a teeny bit mean Richard (but I don't believe you are telling the truth)![:)]  Already had all the Trick or Treaters here - I really enjoy it (but I know them all so I suppose that might make a difference).  I grow pumpkins and make lanterns, have lots of sweets and fruit and light my decrepit ancient little house with candles - the little ones seem to love it.[:D]

[quote user="just john "]You may be closer than you think, it's about the Day of the Dead.

[/quote]

The Day of the Dead is on 2nd November [geek].

[quote user="buelligan"]You sound like you might be a teeny bit mean Richard (but I don't believe you are telling the truth)![:)]  Already had all the Trick or Treaters here - I really enjoy it (but I know them all so I suppose that might make a difference).  I grow pumpkins and make lanterns, have lots of sweets and fruit and light my decrepit ancient little house with candles - the little ones seem to love it.[:D][/quote]

You're right, I wasn't telling the whole truth, I didn't actually have a glass of wine next to me.

[;-)]

I do now. And all the lollies are gone. Burp!

[quote user="just john "]You may be closer than you think, it's about the Day of the Dead.

[/quote]

I have collected some Day of the Dead items - I use the colourful metal symbols as Christmas baubels -  the boxed and tin votives are just amazing.

If you want to buy some rare stuff I have an address in Calif.

I have Day of the Dead symbols that I have made into fridge magnets on strangly my frigidair. ( I was really jealous of a freind that lived in the house that won the1924 Ideal Home Exhibition prize. They still have the original fridge with like a big mushroom on  top and it still works beautifully so much better than those classic 1950 fridges).

I guess it's not entirely off post since the OP was about the meaning of Hallowen[:)] which is really a disneyfied version of the day of the dead, but I always thought it was a chinese thing as opposed to Mexican and I was unaware that there were symbols and stuff Dog. I'd be fascinated to learn more about them.

Hallowe'en is the Eve of All Hallows or All Saints Day (Toussaint in France) on November 1st. Tradionally thought to be the night when evil spirits roamed before being banished by the saints. The Day of the Dead is All Souls Day on November 2nd, when people commemorate those who have died, especially over the past year.

Finally after much blundering I found the people I have dealt with to buy Day of the Dead art.

This company and people are a delight to deal with and honest - they usually bung in some freebies.

Quality is good and delivery quick.

http://www.farflungarts.com/Mexican_Day_of_the_Dead_tin_ornaments_p/to001e.htm

These votives do it for me - I bought my dad one when he was knocked off his bicycle....

http://www.farflungarts.com/Mexican_Religious_Art_s/24.htm

I don't mind the children dressing up. I don't mind them going door to door. I don't mind them enjoying the night. I really really hate it when they use those three words "Trick or Treat" - I do not like it when people try to demand with menaces (bully) even if they are only 5 years old. Children that I know are welcome to come to my door (on the proper night) and say "Happy Halloween".

Archived