Complete France Forum

Heresy?

Gardian

I'm surprised that there's been no mention of this so far.  Delia.

Yesterday evening, I was forced at knife-point by OH to watch her latest prog. Past her sell-by date (in terms of programme content).

I hear that she's a National Treasure, along with others such as Wogan, Alliss, Bassey & Furryknickers. Shome mishtake shurely?  

I have no choice but to come to Delia's defence.

As a youngster in the 1960s and 70s, I was one of those people who couldn't boil an egg.  With Delia I always felt that, if I followed her instructions to the letter, I could produce something edible.

You'd no idea how important that was to me.  I didn't like to admit that I couldn't cook as I would have been mortified.  

Thanks to Delia, I managed to at least give a semblance of being able to put a meal on the table.

As a very loyal person, I feel I couldn't possibly abandon her now (as she's looking so matronly these days and she speaks like one of Bertie Wooster's maiden aunts). 

Crickey.  She's 68 and looks amazing.  Not a huge number of people are on the television at that age.

Her recipes are fool proof.  She has been writing them for over 40 years.  When she endorses a product, sales go wild.

Good on her...

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I have no choice but to come to Delia's defence.

As a youngster in the 1960s and 70s, I was one of those people who couldn't boil an egg.  With Delia I always felt that, if I followed her instructions to the letter, I could produce something edible.

You'd no idea how important that was to me.  I didn't like to admit that I couldn't cook as I would have been mortified.  

Thanks to Delia, I managed to at least give a semblance of being able to put a meal on the table.

As a very loyal person, I feel I couldn't possibly abandon her now (as she's looking so matronly these days and she speaks like one of Bertie Wooster's maiden aunts). 

[/quote]

Thanks sweet, I nearly got through the day with nothing bad happening, then I spit coffee and the screen laughing at that. I loved Jeeves and Wooster!

(don't worry, it was only a metaphorical spit)

Didn't do sales any harm ! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/books/ref=sv_b_3

We are having Christmas Cake, Christmas pudding and mincemeat a la Delia, and will probably have the blackened bacon, the savory straws and little nutty bites... we already had the book.....

It is only one program this year - if you're not a fan may be that's a good hour to do something else [:D]

The one I can't standwatching is Nigella - all that dreadful arty camera work :-( :-(

I'm not a TV fan - and therefore know little about TV celeb chef-types, but I have a friend who is/does.  He sent me this; [url]http://blog.preshweb.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/ainsley-sausages.jpg[/url].  Apologies to those who like Ainsley Harriot![:$]  But Deels...well...she's special, I don't/wouldn't watch her (I have no TV) but IMO, she's a British institution![:D]

Agree with RH, can't stand Nigella.  You almost feel she is making love to whatever sausage (or in her case probably chorizo) that she is licking and chewing.

Sorry, Bue, can't knock Ainsley as I know him personally and he is one hell of a nice guy in real life.  Plus he can really, really cook.....honestly.

I had a very early night, and planned to watch Delia in bed. I did see some of it, but snoozed quite a bit (well, I am a member of the Insomniacs lub, and obviously needed a little nap).

I wasn't gripped by it, but thought what I did see was interesting, and for those who don't have her books, it must have whetted appetites for cooking some of her recipes, if they stayed with the programme. Her instructions are always very clear, and she doesn't faff about like Nigella (I do have a couple of her books, too), or make it seem as though food is produced almost by magic, like some chefs.

I like the way she describes herself as a cook, too, not a chef - I 've used some of her recipes for years and they always work out exactly as they're meant to. I'm not a very adventurous cook, and probably becoming less so as the years go by, but I find I choose her recipes/methods over others in books I have on the shelves. Anyway, her books are off the shelf just now, and I'm enjoying re-reading them - an additional night-time occupation.

I was surprised she seemed so orangey coloured on my screen; maybe it was the bedroom TV at fault, but newsreaders etc didn't look orange. Someone here said she looked good for her age, but I think she'd have looked even better in a more natural colour.  [:)]

Delia has just been on Women's Hour (Radio 4), answering questions, giving advice etc. she does know her subject!

I saw some of the programme the other evening and thought it was "bitty" and confusing, but anything to do with food is ok by me.

Iagree about Nigella though - her personality is too intrusive.

As far as TV cooks are concerned :

I like Delia Smith, Phil Vickery and James Martin.........Brian Turners OK, can't stand AWT, and numerous others are OK ish. I love Raymond Blanc, but apart from The Restaurant he doesn't do much on TV, I can recommend his book 'A taste of my life' very good read with a few recipes included. (Makes a good gift )

Archived