Complete France Forum

Assisted Suicide?

Gastines

Lots of discussions in the media about the pro's and con's of assisted suicide for the terminally ill,can we please add murderers/rapists plus a few other lower denominators of the human race? might save a lot of future problems as the punishment.if any, offered at the moment certainly isn't working.

If we add murderers and rapists, it won't be assisted suicide, it would be the death penalty again, as these people wouldn't want to die.

The solution doesn't lie in the threat of punishment in my opinion, as there were still rapists and murderers around when the death penalty existed. I think when someone is in the act of doing these things, the last thing they think of is the consequences of their actions.

However, if I had the solution to this, no doubt I would be a very rich man, because nobody else has found the solution either.

To my mind, killing somebody who has killed merely takes the rest of us down to their level.  But then I'm an atheist, so I obviously don't understand all that "thou shalt not kill" mularky.

However, if a person would rather kill themselves than spend a life in prison, then I am not sure that we should not respect their wishes.  The two concepts are poles apart, imo.

they never spend the rest of their lives in prison.. at least in France..

Always released before due time for good behaviour and the rest..

Makes me angry .

How many women , children, men, boys,  have been raped and killed by people with " good behaviour "  ?

Ready to be stoned...............................

Did anybody see Terry Pratchett's plea, movingly read by Tony Robinson, for the Dimbledy Lecture last week. Extremely moving and totally convincing. I am so glad I live in a country where we have the choice to end our life with dignity in the case of terminal or debilitating illness.

Archived