Complete France Forum

Carole King & James Taylor

Gardian

On Friday, there was an hour-long concert (2007) with these two artists. Both were excellent, particularly James Taylor.

If they're your 'cup of tea', it's being repeated tonight on BBC4 at 23.00.  Recommended.

We watched the concert on Friday - loved it. Also watched the Neil Young programme.

There seems to be a lot of elderly 70s singers doing revivals at the moment. Most of them have definitely lost their shine, but James Taylor still has a very clear musical voice.

I enjoyed Neil Young and James Yaylor in their early and late years.

I am just about to go to UK and my brother has arranged a gig with Steve Gibbons - he is now in his early seventies and has matured with age and he a makes a great evenings entertainment epsecially as the gigs are usually small.

He is an interesting chap - even though he phoned me at one am one night! He calls me the fat boy from the country...

BBC4 also did a short series of new "Transatlantic Sessions"  - where a bunch of traditional session musicians (notably Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain) did half a dozen gigs with some singers from the US.  JT was one and he was quite superb - great to hear him doing traditional songs as opposed to the usual self-penned stuff.

Carol King admirers should also keep an eye out for a band called Blue Tapestry (they only get together occasionally) who are two women singers with stunning voices who do Carol King and Joni Mitchell stuff with a couple of other great musicians.  Well worth a look if they are ever down your way.

I haven't watched CK/JT yet - have to wait until the o/h is out of the house....

If you like James Taylor he made an amazing film in the late 70's "Two Lane Blacktop" with Dennis Wilson and Warren Oates. Neither of these two great song writers had anything to do with the soundtrack, but the film did introduce the song Me and Bobby McGee by Kris Kristofferson ,  other music included, Moonlight Drive by The Doors, Maybelline by Chuck Berry and Stealin' by Arlo Guthrie. The Film was never a commercial success but has since gained a large cult following

[quote user="just john "]

I have to say that JT was a bit  wooden in the film, Warren Oates, the car stuff and sound track [8-|]. . . . Two lane black top 

I prefer Hot Rod or of course American Graffiti which acquired cult film recognition in France[:D]

[/quote]

I agree John about American Graffiti being better, but there is a quote from someone on the Graffiti production crew, I can't trace it at the moment, who said " that Graffiti would never have been made if  Two Lane hadn't been made first"   James Taylor is  the only one of the main actors in the film still alive today and this was his only Film acting role (Info courtesy IMDB). I bet he wishes he still had all that hair?

Archived