Complete France Forum

Doggies to Spain

woolybanana

I was hoping to spend a bit of the summer in the High Pyrenees, criss-crossing the Franco-Spanish frontier on foot and in the CC, but this may present a problem for the doggies. Can anyone guide me svp?

Apparently, the dogs should have a vets inspection not more than 24 hours before entering Spain, but if one were to keep coming and going across the frontier on, say, an east-west route, how could it be possible to fulfil this as there are no vets at that altitude. Is there perhaps a one month carnet or something?

Advice would be much appreciated.

I can't tell you much about Spain, Oh Wooly One.  However, I have a friend who competes with her dogs and she says that many who do international competition have a big problem with the compulary tick and flea treatment regs as they have, by law, to seriosly over dose their animals just to comply if they want to enter regularly, and many won't compete abroad for that reason.

We used to take our old dog back and forth across the border (in to Spain) quite a bit without problem. Our French vet told us that all we need is a valid certificate that he had a rabies jab just like you do for travel to the UK and nothing else was required, no visit to a vet 24 hours before hand etc like you need for the UK. On top of that we have never been stopped crossing the border even when our dog was up on his back legs barking at the border guard kiosk.

If your driving down via Carcassonne and Perpignan your be going past our front door (almost 50M, detour), drop in for coffee (or something a bit stronger) if you have time.

Thank you Q, that would be nice. But I must warn you about Destroyer. You manicured lawns will look like the surface of the Moon in ten seconds if he gets loose. And he will lift his leg on anything or anyone given the chance, which is why I wear plastic leggings!!

[quote user="woolybanana"]Thank you Q, that would be nice. But I must warn you about Destroyer. You manicured lawns will look like the surface of the Moon in ten seconds if he gets loose. And he will lift his leg on anything or anyone given the chance, which is why I wear plastic leggings!![/quote]

Bit of competition for Max then. [;-)]

[quote user="woolybanana"]

I was hoping to spend a bit of the summer in the High Pyrenees, criss-crossing the Franco-Spanish frontier on foot and in the CC, but this may present a problem for the doggies. Can anyone guide me svp?

[/quote]

If you are intending to cross on country routes, I would be very surprised that anyone would know - we came back across the top recently, avoiding the autoroute, and there was not a soul about ......  quite weird, anyone could have crossed and no-one would have been any the wiser.  A bit like the sound of music - you know, where they walk over the mountains ......

Archived