Complete France Forum

OK, who's a skinflint, then?

woolybanana

Well, I can never see the point of buying small flowerpots when there are loads of plastic cartons to be recycled for small plants and I always wear my socks until there is more hole than sock, but I do draw the line at getting Amazon blocked. So, are you as bad as this? I have visions of certain members (or ex-members) in their de-mob suits or Burtons unbeatables, recycling hoover bags and numbering the toilet paper.

Oh, and I do use the soap until it disappears...... and boy do I drive the camping car on the rev counter, so sorry if you have got held up behind me. My best ever mileage was in the Pyrenees!!

So, out with it guys, let's have you little secrets!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1288183/Help-I-married-skinflint-Well-bankrupt-living-Scrooge-embarrassing.html

OK: hands up in admission: I'm err........ economical! [blink]

Having grown up in wartime and then post-war Britain, I hate waste of any sort: particularly food.

Mrs Gluey will often attempt to throw away say a cabbage or colly on the basis that the outside leaves are tired: I grab it, cut off the outside bits and cook it!

Same with tatoes in the tatoe bin: I cut off the bad bits and cook the rest.

Perhaps my piece de resistance many years ago, was inverting a sauce bottle on the dinner table to capture the last remnants. A dear old motor racing chum (A notoriously economical Yorkshireman from Doncaster) came to collect me as we were off out to buy a car or summat, saw the inverted sauce bottle and cried, "You mean bugger!!"

However, he once did spray a Mini Cooper racing shell using just one litre of heavily thinned paint! Thin? [:-))]

Now what really did give me the screaming habdabs were guys working for me in the workshop, leaving half brazing rods and handfuls of brand new aircraft quality Nyloc locknuts, washers and etc on the workshop floor after they had finished a job: yeah they said I was "mean", but it wasn't their cash paying £1.50 per rod (Special rods) and a quid per nut! back in the early 70s..... when they were earning perhaps gross £25/week.

I do draw the line at socks with holes though Woolly: any sign of a hole and instantly filed under reference B1N!

[:)]

I do all those things with washing up liquid and hnd wash bottles. It's only relatively recently, after endless ragging from my grown-up kids that I've stopped trying to stick the last sliver of the old bar of soap to the new one. If I'm throwing an old towel away I always look at it carefully and if there's an area bit enough I cut it up and hem it and use the remaining piece in the kitchen or utility room.

My brother told a tale of walking round the JCB factory with Joe on a quiet Sunday morning. There was a screw on the floor. Joe picked it up and asked my brother if he knew what it might cost. My brother had no idea, but Joe knew to the decimal point.

Hoddy

I do all those things, including the soap. But I draw the line at hanging used teabags out to dry and re-use.

Just rescued an old fleece jacket whose zip had broken. A new zip costs more than the jacket. So I found an old zip which I'd saved from some garment or other, and stitched it in.

Make do and mend.

[quote user="Hoddy"]I do all those things with washing up liquid and hnd wash bottles. It's only relatively recently, after endless ragging from my grown-up kids that I've stopped trying to stick the last sliver of the old bar of soap to the new one. If I'm throwing an old towel away I always look at it carefully and if there's an area bit enough I cut it up and hem it and use the remaining piece in the kitchen or utility room. My brother told a tale of walking round the JCB factory with Joe on a quiet Sunday morning. There was a screw on the floor. Joe picked it up and asked my brother if he knew what it might cost. My brother had no idea, but Joe knew to the decimal point. Hoddy[/quote]

My old towels have a second life as doggy towels, then as floor cloths in the CC. Finally, I give them to my ex- (how I wanna be able to say late) MIL as Xmas presents!![6]

And Joe Bamford built a huge company from scratch: starting by making trailers from a surplus Nissan hut from scrap goverment surplus metals bought from post War auctions .

The eccentric billionaire Daniel Ludwig once excoriated and fired an overseas manager for sending him a letter with documents: because they were fastened with a paperclip and sent by airmail: Ludwig objected strongly for paying an airmail charge for non-essential paperclip.

Mrs Gluey used to work for a  multimillionaire in Lloyds in the City: he religiously saved and re-used envelopes, wrapping paper and string: and refused to buy any new clothes because he was already over 70! He preferred to invest his money: amongst other things on his impressionist art which he had been collecting since the early 1950s; much of which was in the Lloyds office where Mrs G worked.

Soap: save the bits left: press them together and allow to harden. Pop in a suitable pot and use in the kitchen.

Archived