Complete France Forum

Please, petrolheads, tell me ...

Frenchie

[quote user="Bugsy"] Get as good a warranty as you can and haggle, even french garages are feeling the pinch at the moment. [/quote]

I agree with the warranty bit, and in the price band I'd suggest getting a deal on one of the new small cars,
what Frenchie needs is someone to wheel her round a few dealers.

On a point of fact the Top 10 Most Reliable Carmakers are still japanese as follows,

1. Honda   2. Subaru   3. Mitsubishi   4. Lexus   5. Toyota   6. Mazda   7. Nissan   8. Skoda   9. Kia   10. Mini

Though price wise the Japanese are only slightly less expensive than the German makers, they are being overtaken for best value by others, looking at No 9  Kia/ceed   and another Korean manufacturer, though with an american badge now . . .  Chevrolet-spark-road-test is probably a good starting point.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote user="Frenchie"] What s wrong with a Peugeot 307 Hdi ? [/quote]

How long have you got, . . .  Nothing wrong with a new Peugeot under warranty, but Peugeot/307 - bad bits

Not only that, but on a limited budget you don't want to buy something that has used your cash and then costs you more.

Shocking 4th from Bottom of 100 models for reliability in Auto Express - Poor for problems and faults in 2003 Which survey.
What to Watch Out For - Problems include total power failures, total (Multiplex) electrical failures, moisture in fusebox, trip computer failures, service indicator failures, poor starting, brake pedals falling off, steering column stalk malfunctions, splits in seat covers, rattles, screen leaks, cracked screens, complaints of poor ride quality even on 1.6 and 1.4HDI versions.

[quote user="cooperlola"]  Now, I know everybody will go [+o(] but a Dacia Sandero (Renault engine and mechanics again) costs 9190 list but has a bonus of 2k from the state (I kid you not.)   [/quote]

I'm with Coops on this one . .  Better to go french with the dacia-renault/logan-  not pretty but based on the modus and if Sarko is giving you 2K how could you not, Frenchie go have a look,
Incidently my Plomberie turned up in an estate one of these which he traded his VW in for, he said the Dacia is brilliant, no frills but the VW costs were driving him to tears.
Now, who's free to wheel her round a few 'Arthurs'[blink] 

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="Frenchie"] What s wrong with a Peugeot 307 Hdi ? [/quote]

How long have you got, . . .  Nothing wrong with a new Peugeot under warranty, but Peugeot/307 - bad bits

Not only that, but on a limited budget you don't want to buy something that has used your cash and then costs you more.

Shocking 4th from Bottom of 100 models for reliability in Auto Express - Poor for problems and faults in 2003 Which survey.
What to Watch Out For - Problems include total power failures, total (Multiplex) electrical failures, moisture in fusebox, trip computer failures, service indicator failures, poor starting, brake pedals falling off, steering column stalk malfunctions, splits in seat covers, rattles, screen leaks, cracked screens, complaints of poor ride quality even on 1.6 and 1.4HDI versions.

[/quote]

The criticisms in that link refer to the older pre-2005 models rather than the newer facelift versions.

I have a 2005 1.6 307 (big smiley face grille) which is comfortable, well appointed and a pleasure to drive.  Nothing has fallen off it and it has never missed a beat.

Just for balance....[;-)]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Those are very high mileage cars for their age. Mine's a 2005 and only has 70,000km on. Will be selling it next year if you can hang on, probably for around €7k. It's a 206cc. Perfect if you're a hairdresser.[/quote]

In my view ,just around 100 000  ( slightly under or over) is not a high kilométrage , for a diesel.

[/quote]

Actually, as the national average of k's driven per year is around 16,000km, that puts the cars you are looking at pretty much on the ball for their ages.

Mine is well under the national average which is good, as it will hopefully be a selling point when I sell it next year :)

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"][quote user="Frenchie"]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Those are very high mileage cars for their age. Mine's a 2005 and only has 70,000km on. Will be selling it next year if you can hang on, probably for around €7k. It's a 206cc. Perfect if you're a hairdresser.[/quote]

In my view ,just around 100 000  ( slightly under or over) is not a high kilométrage , for a diesel.

[/quote]

Actually, as the national average of k's driven per year is around 16,000km, that puts the cars you are looking at pretty much on the ball for their ages.

Mine is well under the national average which is good, as it will hopefully be a selling point when I sell it next year :)
[/quote]

They count 25 000 km/year for a diesel!

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The criticisms in that link refer to the older pre-2005 models rather than the newer facelift versions.

I have a 2005 1.6 307 (big smiley face grille) which is comfortable, well appointed and a pleasure to drive.  Nothing has fallen off it and it has never missed a beat.

Just for balance....[;-)]

[/quote]

Now I have three cars in competition

A Renault Modus from a garage, 6 month guarantee, year 2006      76 000 km     6990 euros

A 307 HDI 80cv  107 000 km   year dec 2004   timing belt done  6800 euros

A C3  86 000 km  from 2005   always been serviced in a garage , ( bills to prove) , 6200 euros ( and nice colour !!) [:D]

[quote user="Frenchie"]Now I have three cars in competition

A Renault Modus from a garage, 6 month guarantee, year 2006      76 000 km     6990 euros

A 307 HDI 80cv  107 000 km   year dec 2004   timing belt done  6800 euros

A C3  86 000 km  from 2005   always been serviced in a garage , ( bills to prove) , 6200 euros ( and nice colour !!) [:D]

[/quote]

Not planning on going out on the pull then Reg ?

[:D][:D]

After colour, the next thing I suggest you look at is 0% finance, Put down a deposit, pay monthly, keep your cash in reserve.
Cash is King when things go wrong (as they are wont on used[Www]) 
the next thing to look at is age, go for the newest
then mileage, go for the lowest,
the best deals in finance are usually at the dealers and usually only 0% on new
which might then give you what you need most . . .

Peace of Mind

I speak as someone who always buys used (except company cars and a one off lust for a cossie, once was enough)
but doesn't shrink at the challenge of keeping them going, and with more than one spare.

Ladies who work (sorry women, or is it the other way around?) usually prefer cars that work all the time without one hand in their purse.

[quote user="Frenchie"][quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"][quote user="Frenchie"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They count 25 000 km/year for a diesel!

[/quote]

Wow, didn't think it mattered what type of engine it was. You drive what you need to drive.

Out of those you have shown, I'd go for the Modus. Will get more miles to your euro in terms of outlay. Trouble is, like the Citroen, it's a bloody ugly looking car.

Modus for me.   It's on the same floorpan as my Note whose chassis I find has the right combination of comfort and drive-ability.  Even my o/h likes it and he's mega fussy.

What is more in Quelle Voiture which I buy every six months or so, Renault consistently do best for SAV.  Their review of the current model has no "red" blobs (their negative) for anything, 4 yellows (average) and 21 greens - very good for them.

They aren't mad about the interior but I guess that's as much a matter of taste as anything else.

Which engine is it?

Now DEb in particular but you all too if you wish, of course!

What about this ?  Nissan Micra 1.5 dci

97000 km 

Engine 1.5 dci

Belongs to the owner of the garage 's daughter ( so always well serviced)

December 2004

6000 euros

Will be fully serviced before sale and Contrôle techinque done

4 new tyres

6 months warranty

and ... Colour = same as the pic = Lavender !!

Same as mine (not the colour, I hasten to add!) - at least you'll be safe.[:)]  Seriously, I do miss mine.  Caveats : the engine's a little noisy at high revs and the ride a little harsh for some although I found it more "chuck-able" as a result than my longer wheelbased Note and thus overall preferred it. 

I took a load of friends for a drive around the countryside once - me in the lead and a conker of various motors including an MGB GT, a Frogeye Sprite, a Ford Mustang, a Ferrari Mondial and several Cobras.  When we stopped for a break one of the Cobra owners said to me "I think I'll sell the Cobra and buy a Micra.  I couldn't keep up with you." He couldn't either, but then I did know the road.[:D]

Oh and don't let her end up like this one :

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/cooperlola/AuSe08093.jpg[/IMG]

However, in spite of my best efforts the engine only moved backwards by one centimeter, in a head-on collision with a car on its roof, and the back doors still opened and closed!  Oh, and I only broke limbs, nothing vital!

Archived