Complete France Forum

UK council tenants forced to free up large houses

Frederick

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/council-tenants-may-be-forced-to-downsize-2037313.html

Radio poll this morning I listened to ,most thought this a good idea .  

I think  it would be a good idea  for councils to think about the purchase of land in other EU countries where land is cheaper and they could build small houses for a lot less than the cost in the UK.. Be it Spain France Greece or wherever I think many  newly retired people  would be happy to swap their 3 or 4 bedroom council houses for  a place in the sun on a  UK Housing Association run urbanisation . I can see groups of people wanting to go together.. After say 5 years they could return to the UK into warden controlled flats to be near their chilren in the latter years of their lives if they wanted to... I think such a scheme  might just free up more houses for young families .... Do you agree ?  

Thats a great idea Fred.

Both my sisters live on benefits in 3 bedroomed council houses, the children flew the nest years ago and the husbands long disappeared, despite whinging and moaning that their own kids cant get council accomodation they steadfastly refuse to contemplate moving somewhere smaller themselves.

One is all on her own and the other does have a partner who, officially at least lives with her, they recently got married so that if she died before him he would be able to carry on the tenancy.

Unless the benefits were exportable, and I suppose retirement benefits are, it would not be appealing for a lot of council tenants.

I just read this in your link:

In his emergency Budget, Chancellor George Osborne said housing benefit payments would be limited to £280 a week for a flat and £400 a week for a house.

The new caps were needed, he said, because the cost of payments had risen 50% to £21 billion over the last decade.

The BPF, which represents property developers and owners, fund managers, investment banks and housing organisations, said the cuts would lead to "real-life personal tragedies".

I suppose if you call a real life tragedy meaning having a few million a year less to live on then it would be for them!

If only I were able to get £400 per week rent for my property, perhaps I should try letting it via the local authority.

Lat year an elderly gentleman I knew passed away... He lived in his own bungalow.. under the terms of his will he left one third of his estate to a son who lived overseas. He left the other two thirds to be equally divided between his other son and his daughter in law who lived close by in council housing are  unemployed and in reciept of  benefits . After the disposal of the estate I know each recieved just over £70.000 ... So the couple with the £140 .000 plus ....did they go and buy thenselves a place to live freeing up.their council house ?  A  new car and the mobile home were the first things they bought  They must be happy to stay on in council housing as its almost a year now and no sign of a move yet . .

It is clear that tenants of council houses should move on when the accommodation is no longer suitable, either too small or too large. It was intended thus and not as a home with a lifelong, low rent tenancy which can apparently be passed on.

The function of the State is NOT to hand out free or subsidized accommodation. Tenants should pay a rent on a prorata basis perhaps, based on income and benefits too, of the total household.

I read some time back that in Canada they have a system where you pay a realistic percentage of your wages every month for your 'council' house. As your salary goes up so does your rent to a point where its actually cheaper to get a mortgage and buy than carry on renting. That way those who have little or no wages get help and those who get on in life move on leaving their property for another less fortunate. Seems to me a reasonable way of doing things.

[quote user="Frederick"]Lat year an elderly gentleman I knew passed away... He lived in his own bungalow.. under the terms of his will he left one third of his estate to a son who lived overseas. He left the other two thirds to be equally divided between his other son and his daughter in law who lived close by in council housing are  unemployed and in reciept of  benefits . After the disposal of the estate I know each recieved just over £70.000 ... So the couple with the £140 .000 plus ....did they go and buy thenselves a place to live freeing up.their council house ?  A  new car and the mobile home were the first things they bought  They must be happy to stay on in council housing as its almost a year now and no sign of a move yet . .[/quote]

Frederick - Could they have bought under the right to buy scheme ?

There would be no outward sign.....

[quote user="Quillan"]I read some time back that in Canada they have a system where you pay a realistic percentage of your wages every month for your 'council' house. As your salary goes up so does your rent to a point where its actually cheaper to get a mortgage and buy than carry on renting. That way those who have little or no wages get help and those who get on in life move on leaving their property for another less fortunate. Seems to me a reasonable way of doing things.[/quote]My mother lives in this sort of accommodation (in this case owned and run by a services charity).  Residents get grants towards the rent according to their income.  Very sensible, imo.

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Frederick"]Lat year an elderly gentleman I knew passed away... He lived in his own bungalow.. under the terms of his will he left one third of his estate to a son who lived overseas. He left the other two thirds to be equally divided between his other son and his daughter in law who lived close by in council housing are  unemployed and in reciept of  benefits . After the disposal of the estate I know each recieved just over £70.000 ... So the couple with the £140 .000 plus ....did they go and buy thenselves a place to live freeing up.their council house ?  A  new car and the mobile home were the first things they bought  They must be happy to stay on in council housing as its almost a year now and no sign of a move yet . .[/quote]

Frederick - Could they have bought under the right to buy scheme ?
 There would be no outward sign.....
[/quote]

They have a daughter and  partner living with them ...I feel they are happy to leave things as they are . I doubt if they have even considered  buying their council house .

What a great idea, lets take the lower working classes homes from them now. 

After all, the jobs that they used to do have been sent to China, as our wonderful leaders in the UK have made it so that companies which used to employ them cant afford to manufacture here anymore. Must not spoil our green and pleasant land with factories must we. 

I am sure that the houses they vacate can be put to good use for some poor immigrant families.

There are plenty of families on the waiting list for council housing, many of them currently in inadequate B&B accommodation. The fact that this situation exists alongside that of single people living in three-bedroomed council properties is not reasonable.

And before you start ranting on Daily Mail-stylee about 'immigrants taking our houses' you should familiarise yourself with the rules as to who qualifies for social housing and where the priorities are.

When I am in the UK  my work takes me into the homes of a lot of people in social housing .. I see the very elderly mostly women living alone in a 3 bed place that they cannot cope with  as they are frail. . They could not .move without a lot of help even if they wanted a more managable place so will not face up to it.

.I also go into flats  where  families are raising children The constant  worry of mothers is keeping the kids quiet in case they get complaints ...Kids need gardens ...old people cannot handle gardens   ...Provided the councils have  understanding staff to help people move as many will not have funds to pay furniture removers . I think exchanges would work out well for people and many old people would also be happier with the security they get in living in flats  with other elderley residents  Many have main door entry systems wired  into the flats .that gives a feeling of protection . .  

I think there would need to be a whole lot more co operation between councils or housing associations. I know an elderly man in a 3 bed house in Peterborough, he'd like to move to a smaller property within easy reach of his step daughter in the Reading/Henley area, he is in his late 70's and has a some health issues: so far he has ben offered a rabbit hutch type property with a huge garden in the sticks, so virtually impossible for him to shop and he'd be unable to care for the garden - naturally enough he turned it down......

A bit more imagination by officials would go a long way.

[quote user="misplacedperson"]There are plenty of families on the waiting list for council housing, many of them currently in inadequate B&B accommodation. The fact that this situation exists alongside that of single people living in three-bedroomed council properties is not reasonable.

And before you start ranting on Daily Mail-stylee about 'immigrants taking our houses' you should familiarise yourself with the rules as to who qualifies for social housing and where the priorities are.
[/quote]

No need for me to "rant on" about anything MPP, I have stated the facts as I see them in this case, so what you think is irrelevant to me.

Please don't patronise me  regarding the rules on housing in my own country, I am more than up to date regarding them, thank you.

BTW, Its the Times for me, not the Mail, old chap. [Www]

[quote user="Frederick"]

When I am in the UK  my work takes me into the homes of a lot of people in social housing .. I see the very elderly mostly women living alone in a 3 bed place that they cannot cope with  as they are frail. . They could not .move without a lot of help even if they wanted a more managable place so will not face up to it.

.I also go into flats  where  families are raising children The constant  worry of mothers is keeping the kids quiet in case they get complaints ...Kids need gardens ...old people cannot handle gardens   ...Provided the councils have  understanding staff to help people move as many will not have funds to pay furniture removers . I think exchanges would work out well for people and many old people would also be happier with the security they get in living in flats  with other elderley residents  Many have main door entry systems wired  into the flats .that gives a feeling of protection . .  

[/quote]

You are correct, this would be a good idea, help these people move if they wish, but they should not be forced to move from their homes.

The Government goes on about the "family life" breaking down in this country, but this centres around the home, and with the constant threat of the home being taken, this would make things worst.

I agree people should not be forced out of their community - but it does not make sense for a single elderly person to live in a 3 bed house with a garden they can't cope with. What is needed is to build warden assisted apartments, bungalows for each community to free-up much needed homes for families.

Archived