Complete France Forum

S S ORIANA

Joe

As a young boy I travelled to Canada in 1946 on the Aquitania, she was still under troopship conditions, i.e. Male and Female dormitories. Later on in the fifties I travelled on the Sythia and then the Ascania; all Cunard White Star ships. What away to travel? Probably explains my hate of today’s airlines and their attitude to the general public. With Cunard you were considered a customer and treated with respect even if you travelled tourist class.

My naval grandfather told me that he went to Australia in 1927 with King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on HMS Renown.  It was a royal tour that included Jamaica and the Panama Canal on the way there and New Zealand, Mauritius, Suez, Malta and Gilbraltar on the way back.  He was away for the a few months on board with them but told me that he didn't see them during the entire time.

[quote user="woolybanana"]I remember the Braemar castle in 1952 to Cape Town and then in 1961, same ship, from Durban to Tilbury. What a stupid return that was.[/quote]

SA Vaal (Union Castle / Safmarine) to Cape Town in 71, drove from Cape Town to Zambia, 3000 miles in 6 days of driving, in a Peugeot 404L.

Archived