Complete France Forum

What is it about muffins

mint

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="britgirl"]As a West country girl (born and bred) scones can only be eaten when the clotted cream is topped by home made strawberry jam [Www][/quote]

[:P] Jam, then cream...

[/quote]

oh no!  we have this arguement all the time in our house... I'm a devon maid and Greyman is from Nottingham... be he still reckons he knows best [Www]

Thanks, Gem, already looked at that site.  Can't do cups as in one cup of this and 2 cups of the other.

You're probably fine with cups, being half American (or whatever proportion American you are) but me?  Look, only just got on to metric, moi!

[quote user="sweet 17"]But, Clair, please answer my question:  why do my muffins taste stodgy?[/quote]

Over-mixing is likely to be the reason.

Wet into dry and fold (like a mousse or a soufflé) and stop as soon as there are only a few blobs of dry flour visible.

Tips.

On here I would always say crumpets, IRL I say pikelets. I also like english muffins.

Muffins, what joy to read how so many others who are also very unimpressed with them. Truth is that muffins are what I would call a 'loaf' mix and would usually be baked in a loaf tin and then copious amounts of butter etc spread on each slice.

So yes, no wonder they are dry and often dry and stodgy too, which is just how it is with a loaf mix. IF Tesco's are lighter, I suspect that if they are using this sort of recipe then chemical rising agents are in use.

AND the size of the things, child obesity? give a kid a huge anything say a huge cake smothered in icing and what do you get, fat kids.

What happened to fairy cakes, lovely light little cakes and I would make them for school when my kids were small and everyone loved them and just one small one per kid, that is how it always was and ever should be where sweet treats are concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is sort of a celebration and also a message to Clair.

Got them right today, Clair.  Used your recipe and only altering it slightly by replacing half the milk with cream (as I had a big bottle of fresh cream in the fridge).

Folded the wet ingredients in very, very gently....

Today's were apples and cinnamon muffins with a thick dusting of demerara sugar on top and they were well risen, very fluffy, better than Tesco's and I have kept some back for the freezer and some for breakfast in the morning.

Oh do stop......... now I'm afraid to look.  I need to give all my attention to the dreaded M.Top whilst starting my new Spring diet so, sadly, will be unable to road test Muffins [:(] for the foreseeable future [:'(] Grrrrrrrrrr ! 

Archived