Complete France Forum

UK trip

Bugsy

Just back from a trip to the UK where we have been for a wedding and, of course, a bit of shopping. We travelled on Brittainy Ferries, Cherbourg/Poole (excellent service) and stayed in a hotel in Bournemouth.

The plus points:

Shops are open ALL day.

Customer service found to still exist.

Driving standards, on the whole, are much better than france.

Eating out is so cheap (Carvery lunch for two, £10).

Despite all the doom and gloom most people still manage to laugh.

The negatives:

Fuel prices are ridiculous, fill up before you go.

Litter is everywhere.

Thousands of speed and security? cameras.

All in all a nice trip but its good to be home though.

Have pity on me as I am still here and it's fffffffffff.....freezing.  Had about 6 inches of snow the night I arrived, was unable to go out for 3 days, struggled into Sainsbuggs yesterday only to drive the wrong way around the car park.  People are so grumpy when a French car comes the wrong way forcing them to take evasive action.  Luckily my ears now have been de-sensitised so was unable to understand most of the four-letter words coming my way.  Couldn't find a parking spot so came home.  Now its black ice so no hopes of going out today.  Biggest battle I have though is turning the heating thermostat up when the family are not looking, keeps the beer cold though.[:@]

But, Weedon, you don't think it's LESS cold in Laval, do you?[:D]

At least they're letting you use the computer.  How kind is that?

Think of eating all that turkey not to mention all the trimmings!  Actually, I don't envy you as I don't like turkey nor too keen on stuffing.  Have Christmas pud here but it's not homemade and I'm not at all sure what it tastes like!

Will be making mince pies this evening but it's not exactly Christmassy weather here.  La factrice has just come with her calendar and poor lady was soaked to the bone.

Just as well I'd come back from the shops and have some money on me; else poor woman would have come for nothing!

[quote user="Weedon"] Biggest battle I have though is turning the heating thermostat up when the family are not looking.[:@][/quote]

So at least you have a thermostat Weedon[:)] and don't have to chuck another log on[:P]

[quote user="sweet 17"]  nor too keen on stuffing.   [/quote]

Sorry to hear that sweet, essential with a bit crackling on Boxing Day,[Www]; really looking forward to the drive that day, Bristol to Cheltenham for lunch then onto Maidenhead for tea and back again, all without a drink, things you have do for a free lunch[:D]

Ah, JJ, so it's up and down the M4, bit of M50 and are you going on the M25 after that?  Hope the roads are OK for you and, if the worst happens, I suppose you could always get something to eat from Leigh Delamere or, perish the thought, Membury services.

You mad skunk, JJ, come back to France, tout de suite and have a bit of peace and quiet, eh?

You poor, cold Sod, nevermind, you'd get back here and heave a sigh of relief that you won't need to do it again for another year!

Well, I did think the M5 but not quite sure where you're going first?  Anyway, whichever way you go, it's not nice, is it?

Mind you, it's not great here neither:  cold, nasty, raw.  Only thing is the supermarkets are practically empty compared to UK ones.

There thought there MUST be a reason to be here instead of over there![:D]

That's Dorset .....They are trying out a new one for the "Speed on Green " drivers they should be able to make more money out of...So approach the traffic lights and put your foot down to go through while they are still on green to get over before they change And you will become a contributor to the experiment and get a fine and three points .

They've certainly taken a lot of fun out of driving, watching for watchers instead of enjoying the journey, just as bad en France since I was pulled by an unmarked police bike. My travelling companion is Bertie Bassett so its not all bad[:)] but all the point and squirt machines must be coking up, even thought about getting a G-wizz then I thought Nahhh!

[quote user="Bugbear"]Just back from a trip to the UK where we have been for a wedding and, of course, a bit of shopping. We travelled on Brittainy Ferries, Cherbourg/Poole (excellent service) and stayed in a hotel in Bournemouth.

The plus points:

Shops are open ALL day.

Customer service found to still exist.

Driving standards, on the whole, are much better than france.

Eating out is so cheap (Carvery lunch for two, £10).

Despite all the doom and gloom most people still manage to laugh.

The negatives:

Fuel prices are ridiculous, fill up before you go.

Litter is everywhere.

All in all a nice trip but its good to be home though.[/quote]

So basically the much vaunted French 'way of life' comes down to cheaper fuel, fewer security cameras, and less litter (not at all sure in the South) ?

[quote user="NormanH"]So basically the much vaunted French 'way of life' comes down to cheaper fuel, fewer security cameras, and less litter (not at all sure in the South) ?

[/quote]

Talking out of your ar*se again Norman, sooooo predictable.

• 1 year later...

Archived