Complete France Forum

Book Club?

woolybanana

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think that if relatively obscure books are selected or if too man y categories are introduced there will be insufficient interest to make it worthwhile.

There is a tendency in book clubs for competitive erudition with yet more and more highbrow suggestions until eventually there's only the wannabee English professor left.

I suggest keeping it mainstream and accessible.

[quote user="JK"]I would think that if relatively obscure books are selected or if too man y categories are introduced there will be insufficient interest to make it worthwhile. There is a tendency in book clubs for competitive erudition with yet more and more highbrow suggestions until eventually there's only the wannabee English professor left. I suggest keeping it mainstream and accessible.[/quote]

I agree JK, its not intended to be a competion, rather to enjoy the books and exchange opinions.

My own feeling is that three sections is quite enough

For the English book section my suggestions would be one of the following :

One Day by David Nicholls

The Help by Katherine Stockton

The Hand that First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell

The Hare with Amber Eyes may be a good addition to the list.

For the English Language Book with French connections I'd suggest

L'Auberge by Julia Stagg (who  I think is a  forum member)

The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse

Love & War in the Pyrenees by Rosemary Bailey

or how about revisiting Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks.

Let me know when you start on the Carol Drinkwater books and I'll arrange a holiday....[:(]

Please add your own suggestions and say which category they fall into

Yes, I'd like to be involved in a book group. Great idea Russethouse,  to split into three sections. I'm on a deadline with access to the internet while I'm in France, so haven't had time to read all the suggestions/comments. Am open to any genre of read. I'll keep looking.

Woolybanana, great idea!

Archived