Complete France Forum

The chip and pin free world still exists ....somewhere !

Frederick

I thought I was seeing things this afternoon. Four ladies in full Middle Eastern dress just the eyes showing were in front of me in a Costa Coffee Shop... When asked to pay for their drinks and food one of them put a card in the reader.... It turned out to have no chip so had to be swiped . The owner was not able to put in a pin number . I assume she did not have one so was handed the till receipt upon which she put a capital D and walked off with her purchases ... I take it chip and pin can not have reached the Middle East ...No fraud there I suppose ?

I bought a train ticket in Stansted the other day using one of the old carbon paper roller jobbies.

I know that C&P is rare or non-existant in NZ -- they seem to go through the motions and then still ask you for a signature.

I don't think the US banking system is into the 21st century either. I spent a fortnight with some septics recently and some of them certainly had chip-free cards.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]I spent a fortnight with some septics recently [/quote]

The US is very much a technological backwater as far as chip & pin are concerned - only now are US banks starting to consider this type of card - probably because US tourists are finding it increasingly difficult to use their cards abroad, especially in Europe.

Brian (again)

At the ticket office where I worked till a few years ago, we still had an old style carbon paper 'ironing board' card machine available just in case.

I am never asked to input a pin number with my chipped German Mastercard.  I always have to sign - and frequently have to tell the cashier so at the tills so that she confirms the signature requriement in the system before the transaction times out.

[quote user="brianagain"][quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]I spent a fortnight with some septics recently [/quote]

The US is very much a technological backwater as far as chip & pin are concerned - only now are US banks starting to consider this type of card - probably because US tourists are finding it increasingly difficult to use their cards abroad, especially in Europe.

Brian (again)

At the ticket office where I worked till a few years ago, we still had an old style carbon paper 'ironing board' card machine available just in case.
[/quote]

A couple of US banks are supplying C&P cards now, and others are considering. Many US tourists are bringing pressure on their because of the difficulties of travelling around parts of Europe without them. I know of some who have changed banks after many years of loyalty just because of their problems abroad.

My French bank does a system where is I spend over a certain amount it sends me a message via SMS with an extra code to tap in. It's happened twice now, once at home when ordering online and once in a shop, lucky I remembered to take my mobile phone with me. The only negative, apart from remembering to take my mobile, is they did not tell me over what limit this system kicks in.

US banks tried to introduce chip and pin cards across the country a few years ago, but gave up after meeting strong customer and retail store resistance. In fact many big stores in the US do not require a signature for transactions under US$50 and do not even look at the card, as the customer swipes them! No wonder so many stolen European cards end up in the US being used in fraudulent transactions.

No sure that pressure from American tourists will alter the situation anytime soon, as so few travel abroad or even have passports.

[quote user="Sprogster"]

US banks tried to introduce chip and pin cards across the country a few years ago, but gave up after meeting strong customer and retail store resistance. In fact many big stores in the US do not require a signature for transactions under US$50 and do not even look at the card, as the customer swipes them! No wonder so many stolen European cards end up in the US being used in fraudulent transactions.

No sure that pressure from American tourists will alter the situation anytime soon, as so few travel abroad or even have passports.

[/quote]

A sort of half myth really. Some people say only 5% hold passports, some have said as high as 20% but it is actually higher, 37% (in 2011) is a real figure that seems to be constant on statistical type websites. This apparently is set to become higher as Americans will, as of Jan 2012, need a passport to enter Canada or so I read.

I often wondered about the Barclay Card that you just touch on some form of pad. My BC does this but having not used it in the UK I don't know exactly how it works but I did think it was very open to fraud. I was wondering if you have to 'set it up' with the store, something along the lines of registering it electronically by inserting it into a machine and entering your pin then after that you just touch it when you use the store again.

I did notice that with my UK cards in France, before the pin system, that they would swipe the card but never look at the signature on the back to compare. In a strange way I was somewhat horrified on the basis that if I lost my card nobody would check if it was used that the signatures were correct.

Another half urban myth, having worked for one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) CC and DC clearing houses in the UK, is that most fraud is not committed using stolen cards but by merchants. Apparently they get a family member or best mate to come to the store and they credit their card (give them a refund on non existent goods or services) then divide up the amount between them.

Archived