Complete France Forum

forget EU - Gus thinks UK will break up in a few years

just john

When I was at school my history teacher used to advocate an independant Yorkshire. We had two rivers and big ports, coal, steel works, chemical works, lots of factories producing things, good farming, and water. Ofcourse so much of that has gone now but the idea of the country being split was implanted in my little brain a long long time ago. And I'm still happy with this idea.[:D]

Would England be worse off on its own? What benefits does Scotland bring? There does not seem to be an impartial analysis of this anywhere. At least it might be government by the English for the English based on their votes, rather than a Labour party being kept in power by Scottish votes.

Still, it seems that Cameron is at last beginning to look at the Midlothian Question but whether he is examining funding too, I don't know.

Someone might want to speak to the EU Commission.

When Pais Vasco and Catalunya were looking seriously at independence from Castille Spain, the crunch came when the EU Commission informed all parties that they would have to formally apply to join the EU, and go through the full ascension process. Which would take years.

Presumably the same would apply to Scotland, and the redrawn UK.  

I seem to remember something on french tv many years ago about perhaps the EU turning into small independant states ending up a bit like the USA, none big enough or with enough power to be in control. Maybe it would suit the eurocrats,if that happened.

Archived