Complete France Forum

Passport fotos

woolybanana

Yes they are fine, I did mine in January. Make sure you open your eyes wide though. No need to countersign if not changed in appearance since last time. Cost me €193 including the fee for the mandat cash because no way would I print out my bank and card details to send with the application as they ask you to do if not paying at Post Office (you get a receipt there too:) Turnaround was about ten days.

We got our photos from the kiosk in SuperU, but rather than pay the ridiculous sum that's demanded for renewal in France, we sent the passports, photos, cheque and application forms to our daughter in the UK who forwarded them for renewal at £77.50 each. She then posted the new passports back to us. The whole thing took only a couple of weeks.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Whilst I believe it is necessary to have your passport immediately available as ID when a visitor to France, has anyone actually been asked for it by ''Officialdom'' ?[/quote] 

I haven't, and I don't know anybody who has, even when I was stopped by the Gendarmes and breathalysed ( negative I hasten to add) they didn't ask for my passport or driving licence. Also I don't carry it with me at all except to travel back and forth to the UK

[quote user="powerdesal"]Whilst I believe it is necessary to have your passport immediately available as ID when a visitor to France, has anyone actually been asked for it by ''Officialdom'' ?[/quote]

You believe wrongly.  The Gendarmes have the right to detain anyone who they cannot immediately identify.  Passport, ID card or photo licence are easy ways to be identified.  Not having this identification is not an offence, but might be a tad irritating.  ANd no I do not know anyone who has even been asked let alone detained.  I think provided you keep out of the suburbs during the rioting season you should be OK.

FWIW I had to fly regularly to and from France - where I am sure you know identity checks are made before you can board - this was for a number of weeks when my passport was with a foreign embassy getting a visa added.  A simple explanation and a copy of my photo driving licence was all that was needed to get on board - all Schengen routes though.

I would have thought worst case a Xerox of your passport would be more than enough - and would probably even get you back to the UK.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Well, that is a relief. Thanks, guys.

What did you do for ID whilst your passports were away?

[/quote]

Took a photocopy of the original - didn't need it and new passport came well before I thought it would.

It might be a good idea to photocopy the cover and the main info page of your passport, Wooly, and get your local Mairie to stamp and sign it. That way you have something v official-looking to show to the gendarmes if necessary. I was asked to furnish this sort of thing for ID to a lawyer, and the village Mairie was fine about it.

Read the small print carefully about what the pix should be like before you press the button. i.e. I think it has to have a white background; you mustn't wear glasses, and long hair must be tucked behind ears and away from eyebrows. My fringe in the photo was deemed too long at the passport office itself, and I had to use a machine there to do yet another batch.

Angela

Mine is due for renewal too, and as my old one has my face at an angle, and smiling a little smile, I am wondering if a proper mug shot as they want these days will look like the old passport phot. I can easily get it signed, but would rather not.

I would get the mairie to photo copy your old one and stamp it as was suggested. Let's face it at some point it has to be renewed, isn't like swopping a carte de sejour where they give you a recipisse, to cover whilst the new one is being sorted.

ps wouldn't your driving license be ID?

[quote user="NormanH"]I use my Carte de Séjour as ID.
[/quote]And yet these days if you apply for a Carte de Sejour the prefectures think you're mad to want one in spite of having this advantage pointed out to them in big letters.  Makes you weep.

Idun, many driving licences (old UK ones such as Mr C has) have no photo and an old address on so don't really do.

[quote user="Loiseau"]It might be a good idea to photocopy the cover and the main info page of your passport, Wooly, and get your local Mairie to stamp and sign it. That way you have something v official-looking to show to the gendarmes if necessary. I was asked to furnish this sort of thing for ID to a lawyer, and the village Mairie was fine about it.

Read the small print carefully about what the pix should be like before you press the button. i.e. I think it has to have a white background; you mustn't wear glasses, and long hair must be tucked behind ears and away from eyebrows. My fringe in the photo was deemed too long at the passport office itself, and I had to use a machine there to do yet another batch.

Angela[/quote]

And DONT whatever you do, smile. I know someone whose photo was turned down 4 times by the passport office. It cost her nearly as much for photos as for the new passport.

Loiseau, I always think a fringe hides beautifully the wrinkles on my forehead.

Archived