Complete France Forum

Lime Disease, a salutory tale

woolybanana

My dog son who is about 30 and who has been suffering from worse and worse psychological problems which have had him hospitalized, has just been diagnosed with Lime Disease. He apparently caught this about 15 years ago from a Belgian tick, so the test results say.

The deterioriation in his mental health is very likely to be a symptom of this nasty thing which was only brought to light thanks to a nosey doctor. But the good news is that it can be treated with antiobitics over a longish period which can begin once the various anti-depressants and other drugs he is taking have been got out of his system.

We await developments. But guys, be warned to check yourselves for ticks or for the characteristic ring pattern on your body which indicates you have been bitten and that the bugs are spreading.

Lyme disease can be really nasty, as you and your son are finding out. Walking in woodland or heath areas in many parts of the country can bring you into contact with ticks, but I know mainly about the Dorset area and the Lake District. It's suggested that people wear long trousers and long-sleeved shirts, with socks pulled over the trouser bottoms to prevent ticks climbing up the trouser legs.

Best wishes to your son; hope he's able to take the required antibiotics soon.

I am so sorry to hear about this.

I get in a rare panic if a person has a tick. A good friend had one and just dismissed it as nothing at all. I made her go to the doctors and get checked properly and gave her orders to keep a very careful eye on the wound site. As it is she is OK. And fortunately the Dr took it seriously too, which, I think surprised her.

Fact is ticks carry all sorts of truly dreadful diseases, not just lime disease so a tick bite should never be treat as 'banal'.

I know of two people last year who caught this awful disease in this area - both ended up hospitalised and unable to walk for a time.

Hope your son gets well soon, best wishes

Keni & Chris

Thank you all for the support; he is truly my godson. I was mainly concerned to warn others.

What is interesting is that we all noticed a slow change in his behaviour from about 15 - sleeping a lot, distancing himself, rather detached, shortening concentration span, headaches unable to finish his studies properly. Of course he was diagnosed with depression and eventually, worse, psychotic illnesses and even bipolar disease. It looks as if all this was wrong. One just has to hope that the meds given for these problems have not caused too much permanent damage.

You only have to Google the list of problems caused by Lime Disease to see that it can cause almost anything, apparently.

Archived