Complete France Forum

Don't worry about being raped, you won't get pregnant

nomoss

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19335083

This guy is unreal. I heard a clip of his interview yesterday and wondered how someone this dumb could get to be a Missouri Congressman, and maybe worse, what his competition for the job must have been like.

Then I remembered other great Republicans, including Sarah Palin and of course Dubya.

Besides believing that women who are legitimately raped (whatever that means) don't get pregnant, I think he may also believe that you can prove whether or not people are telling the truth by tying them to a chair on a beam and dunking them in a river to see whether or not they drown.

I heard him, at first I thought that I was listening to some sort of comedy and then I could have wept.

Not only stupid but very dangerous, he and his followers. Who, I feel, would have us back to the actual dark ages in a blink.

But the guy didnt say anything like what he is accused of in the thread title did he?

He is an anti-abortionist (I'm not but I respect his views/faith) his response to the oft asked question "what about in the case of rape" was that he had been informed by Doctors that it was very rare for the victim to become pregnant,(that could well  be true) and that in those (very sad) circumstances his belief is that the perpetrator should be punished not the unborn child.

Granted he made no mention of the punishment that the victim being denied a termination would endure.

I suspect his use of "legitamate" may be that if abortion were to be made illegal but with an exception being made for cases of rape, there may well be many non legitamate claims of rape made.

This is what he actually said according to the BBC -

"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

His meaning being that in a case genuine rape somehow a woman's biology will change do that she can't conceive.

A massive and actually quite insulting display of ignorance of the basic facts of human reproduction.

Hoddy

[quote user="Chancer"]

But the guy didnt say anything like what he is accused of in the thread title did he?

[/quote]

Yes he did. Did you listen to what he said in the link I provided?

He said that in the case of (legitimate) rape that the female body had ways of shutting it down.

That is total garbage, and moreover I don't believe any doctor told him that.

It falls into the same category as "I have a friend who had so-and-so happen to him", used frequently to somehow prove a point in dispute, or the "yousters", as in "Back in Texas I youster race cars with AJ"..... Good old Southern BS.

[quote user="Clair"]And there's another one who also has "never heard of a child getting pregnant from statutory rape or incest.[...] Well [he] just [hasn't] heard of that being a circumstance that’s been brought to [him] in any personal way."

Source

[/quote]

I think it's a trend of Republicans, especially in the South, to drift towards viewpoints which seem slightly outlandish to many (but by no means all) Europeans. e.g.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/06/28/the-texas-republican-party-platform/

Louise Mensch writes in the Telegraph today

Rape is having a moment. And not in a good way. Women who assumed that basic goals of equality were set in stone have been badly shocked over the past few days. On both sides of the Atlantic, from the Left and the Right, male politicians and two-bit “public figures” have made common cause on rape. Not to condemn it, or to pledge tougher action in policing it; but to minimise and dismiss it as a crime.

It started with Julian Assange, and the repellent decision of Ecuador to grant him “political asylum”. Assange is not accused of any political crime. He is accused under Swedish law of raping one woman and sexually molesting another. In granting asylum, Ecuador spat on the human rights record of Sweden, a liberal, even Left-wing, European democracy. As the Twitterati and army of internet Assange groupies began their celebrations, the belittling of the accusations began. What had allegedly happened was “not rape”, they argued. This, even though it is clear that one woman claims she was asleep and unconscious when, she alleges, Assange raped her. An unconscious person cannot give consent. The allegation that the woman had consented to safe sex with a condom but not to unsafe sex without one was rubbished; her right to withhold consent for possible pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases was apparently non-existent. ...

A well written article and sums up my feelings about Assange who because of exactly this I cannot possibly carry on supporting until this issue is dealt with properly by the courts. In fact I would go as far as saying he is a disgrace to my sex.

As was said in some of the comments on the Guardian article rape is still rape even if you agree with the rapist's political opinions/actions. If the US is so keen to extradite Assange why didn't they apply for this months ago when he first came to Britain

Archived